HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The lower and buttstock come welded together on an MKE carbine. Has anybody tried grinding out the welds to separate the parts? I'd like to re-use the stock for my conversion if possible, but I plan to replace the lower. Also, it is just a PITA to reassemble the thing with them welded together.

Thanks.

ETA: I am abundantly aware of 18 U.S.C. 922(r). I am interested in any experiences regarding how to mechanically accomplish this. I am about to order parts (including compliance parts), and I am wondering if I can avoid buying another buttstock.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Same as with the magwell bars (that prevent you from putting 30 round magazines), if you separate the lower from the stock you must first add the necessary 922(r) compliance parts.

·
Registered
893 Posts
As far as I can tell, the two are plug welded at four spots underneath. The problem is going to be getting a drill through it cleanly, as the grip frame is in the way going in from the bottom, and the back plate in the way from the top. Once done, there won't be much left of the metal tang on the lower. I ordered two of the cheap ones from Mr Miller, and plan on sacrificing a lower to save one back plate, and sacrificing a back plate to save a lower. If you wanted to save both parts from a gun, I'd say the only way to do it would be to grind the welds off on the back plate half to get the lower out cleanly, and then weld in what you have ground out once it is off. Mine shows signs of heat on the plastic of the lower, so I wouldn't want to fill that in with weld.

Something to consider though, is just buying a new US lower or new US stock to replace either both, or one of the parts. Sacrifice the part you are going to replace by cutting it out, in order to get the one you will use out cleanly. I don't know if the US made grip frame will fit the MKE shelf properly, but IIRC I've seen pics of other people's guns with that part on it.

Another bit to consider, is that the steel back plate has been cut short. I would assume that was done to be able to assemble the one piece grip/stock. So even if you try and save the stock cap, it will be cut short and may not provide the proper support. No way to fix that. Sacrifice the back plate to save the lower, then just buy a new US made stock.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
ptoguy is correct. I recently pruchased one of these and was considering the same. I think the drilling would be pretty easy going at it from the bottom to seperate the two. You'd have to come at it at a 15-degree angle because of the grip. Mine is pictured below, straigt out of the box, unfired.

(click to enlarge)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I am convinced it isn't with the effort. The end result will a compromise. Replacement parts are readily available.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I don't know... I've compared it to the trigger housing and the A2 stock (both 'real deal' datecoded HK) from my V53 Vector, and the "MKE TROCK" (thats a mashup of Trigger Housing and Stock) would be easily seperate-able. I think that if you were to do so, whichever one you did less damage to would be the one to keep. And frankly, if you just have the thing lying around as a spare if you replace the trigger housing and the stock, then why not experiment?

But ptoguy's quote below is 100% accurate:
Another bit to consider, is that the steel back plate has been cut short. I would assume that was done to be able to assemble the one piece grip/stock. So even if you try and save the stock cap, it will be cut short and may not provide the proper support. No way to fix that. Sacrifice the back plate to save the lower, then just buy a new US made stock.
...so divorce the two and just replace the steel A2 stock backplate. The USA made one is easily available.

Of couse, ultimately it depends on what you're willing to get into. A drill press and a variable angle vise, or a hand drill and a helper person would be all it takes to divorce the two.

·
Registered
893 Posts
You could get to the outside much more easily than the inside. Seeings how the back plate is already chopped, I'd say grind off the back plate to save the lower. You could get a dremel on the outside of it easy enough. Worth a try anyway, and shouldn't be too much trouble if you were just trying to save the grip frame.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Right. I didn't mean to imply that going at it from the inside (in my post with the pictures) was a good route. Just flip it over and go at it from the bottom, outside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts