HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Long time reader first time poster.

I had an Uncle pass away who was an HK collector and his widow, my Aunt, gave me a USP Compact .40 from his collection that is brand new unfired.

The gun is serial # 26-000728 with a date stamp of KG (which dates it to 96)

The gun is new never fired and to be honest I'm itching to make it my full time CCW gun which requires me to put a lot of rounds through it so I'm comfortable with it.

BUT... I don't want to use the gun if it is more of a collectors item, I can always go out and buy something else.

If you could share your opinions I would greatly appreciate it.

JL

·
Registered
851 Posts
I would use it. Honor your uncle by making use of it. I'm sure if he were around, he'd take you shooting with him and would have most likely used it. My uncle taught me how to shoot. He passed away a year ago and my aunt gave all his weapons to a close family friend because at the time I didn't have a permit yet. I'm happy though that the collection went to someone who was going to use it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If it had a unique serial number, like 1 or 1000 (etc) the argument could possibly be made that there was some collectable value to it.

As it is, it's just a generic unfired USPc .40, of which tens of thousands were made (and continue to be).

If you have some attachment to it, considering the source, then hang onto it, put some rounds through it and carry it. The USPc .40 is a good concealed-carry weapon, I liked mine a lot when I had it.

To be honest though I like my P7/PSP better as a CCW though, so if you have no attachment to the USP, you might think of it as a down-payment to try out other H&K pistols to use for CCW.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I personally don't think its a collectors item. The first year of manufacture was 1994. If the serial number was maybe within the first couple it might be worth something in the future.

I would shoot it and carry it proudly!

What letter code is on the inside of the frame just in front of the mag well? Mine is ii and I don't know why.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was a X-mas present from her to me, in fact this is the first time she has cracked open his collection since his death five years ago.

He has several P7's and P9's, a few with matching cans (he was class III) and they're all mint.

He was an interesting and fun guy and is sorely missed by my family.

I could never part with the gun but I can shoot the hell out of it.

thank you all for the feedback!

·
Registered
188 Posts
This was a X-mas present from her to me, in fact this is the first time she has cracked open his collection since his death five years ago.

He has several P7's and P9's, a few with matching cans (he was class III) and they're all mint.

He was an interesting and fun guy and is sorely missed by my family.

I could never part with the gun but I can shoot the hell out of it.

thank you all for the feedback!

:O

I wish I had a better family,

lame non gun owning hippies.

Shoot it, nothing really collectors about it. I never did understand the whole, own it in styrafoam idea.

The Best thing about Anything, Is its Use.

...sooo... what else is in the safe?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Folks,

Long time reader first time poster.

I had an Uncle pass away who was an HK collector and his widow, my Aunt, gave me a USP Compact .40 from his collection that is brand new unfired.

The gun is serial # 26-000728 with a date stamp of KG (which dates it to 96)

The gun is new never fired and to be honest I'm itching to make it my full time CCW gun which requires me to put a lot of rounds through it so I'm comfortable with it.

BUT... I don't want to use the gun if it is more of a collectors item, I can always go out and buy something else.

If you could share your opinions I would greatly appreciate it.

JL
First- sorry for the loss of your uncle.

Second- "An un-used weapon is a useless weapon!"

Don't make the same mistake your uncle made. Enjoy that thing while your still alive. Because we are all gonna go someday.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
That gun does not have any significant collector value. Shoot it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm no expert on early models, but I think this is a fairly early model. I remember a couple of threads about a few modifications HK made in the first couple of years. It may be worth checking to see if one of those upgrades is recommended for yours.
My guess is that it will give you many years of faithful service if you decide to use it. It's kidna' nice havening a gun that also has some special family meaning. I have an old British 303 that my Grandfather used for deer hunting and there is a special good feeling when I take it out to clean it or run a few rounds through it at the range. Of course it came to me well used and well cared for, not new.
What ever you decide, I'm sure you will alway enjoy having that particular gun.
Arthur

·
2,832 Posts
shoot it, carry it, make sure your aunt knows you love it.......sounds like there are some more future possible gifts in that safe

·
Registered
64 Posts
At no point in the foreseeable future would this H&K firearm become a collector piece...

Honor your Uncle by using this weapon and becoming the best shooter you can become. His reason to buy the USP might have been to continue his H&K collection. Since that ended with his passing, I'm sure he would approve of you using/firing/training with it...

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
shoot it.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The USPc .40 is a common gun, no sense in not using it. Plus the fact they shoot too nice not use it! As others have said honor his memory by putting it to good use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd shoot it. Unless it has some special serial number which it sounds like it is not, then I might keep it unused.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts