HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a USPf 9mm. I can shoot it fast but there is always 2 or 3 rounds that hit lower than the main grouping compared to my other pistols.

Could it be that the recoil spring # is too high and it slams the slide against the frame and pushes the pistol down?

If so what should I reduce the recoil spring to?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Are you shooting the first in DA? I found that I'd drop 1 or 2 wen I started a speed shoot in DA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like classic recoil anticipation on the follow through. There would have to be some massive spring poundage to throw your pistol forward with enough force on a properly gripped handgun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My right thumb is on the safety and my left thumb is under the right thumb pointing forward. My grip is as high as possible. I wait till the front sight drops and aligns with the back sights. If wait more then there is less problem. But when I shoot as fast as my CZ's, SIG's, or 1911's then the USP drops couple of hits under the IDPA 0 area.

Most people that compete usually drop the poundage on their recoil spring and I always thought that the reason was to reduce the slide slamming forward which lower the gun momentarily. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, though, I think if that were the case, you'd be getting a lot more shots going low if the spring was heavy.

Is this two or three shots out of one magazine, or two or three shots out of a couple hundred?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sigs and 1911's are heavier than the poly framed USP, which also makes the center of gravity much higher on the USP. I've had to learn to adjust for this slight difference going between HKs/Glocks and Sigs/Rugers.

Getting a lighter spring might help, though I think the better option would be to stick to a single platform in the long run.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might try a 12# or a 10# spring. But first I'll try a stronger support hand in the range nest time. :2800000:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Honestly, its your technique...not the gun.

Theres absolutely no way a spring could or would do that to the gun.

Competition shooters change springs because they use lighter loads.

·
Registered
124 Posts
+ 1 on the techinique. You are probably just anticipating the recoil and pushing the gun down. Next time you shoot, just mentally tell your self you are not going to push the gun down right before you do a string of firing; that helps me.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Honestly, its your technique...not the gun.

Theres absolutely no way a spring could or would do that to the gun.

Competition shooters change springs because they use lighter loads.
Not true. Spring change will alter how the gun behaves in your hand. Go too light, the gun tends to want to climb. Go too heavy and it'll dip. There is a fine balance.

USPs are generally over sprung since they have to handle heavier loads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll work on my technique first. My CZ SP01 comes stock with a 16# or 18# spring and it does not dip. But the slide is lighter just a bit.

I'll try a lighter spring if I have too but lets see what happens next time at the range as I will take your comments into consideration.

·
Registered
137 Posts
During departmental training we do some rapid fire drills. I see and try to correct a lot of trigger slapping. First couple of rounds are good and then the finger leaves the trigger further and further. This can make recoil anticipation(muzzle drop) worse. Training and technique are the cure. BTW, I see this with all types of weapons. We, of course, do not change recoil springs for duty weapons but we do have some competition guys that do. They have had good results but they have the lighter loads to match.
Accuracy first and speed will follow. When you get to a point that you're throwing some rounds it's time to back it down and get accuracy back. It all takes a lot of rounds and range time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To hkuraz

Good thread, there are a lot of guys out there that think that they can cure their shooting with mechanical placebos. Thanks for being one of the guys that is willing to take the advice that he has asked for.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not true. Spring change will alter how the gun behaves in your hand. Go too light, the gun tends to want to climb. Go too heavy and it'll dip. There is a fine balance.

USPs are generally over sprung since they have to handle heavier loads.
I guess Im just lucky that I've never had this problem.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It just means you haven't shot enough to see what the gun is doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Biggest mistake I see people do is thinking USP is like any other pistol. I noticed that I really needed to forget everything I have learned about recoil control in tactical/combat shooting. I noticed that you need much more rigid stance, specially with wrists and elbows. I am guessing it has to do with the recoil reduction system. That transforms most of the "kick" into a "shove". So the "keep your elbows a little loose to absorb recoil" as I have been though does not do well with USP. So when I really fight the recoil and put my weight against the recoil, I get nice matchbox size (3cm) groups at 25m with 4-5 fast shots.

P.S. I am talking about .40 Expert that is my "main" pistol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts