HKPRO Forums banner

Shooting left - P30

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  a_minimalist 
#1 ·
I know this has been discussed to death in these forums, and I've read most of the threads. I've tried a lot of things and I simply can not stop shooting left with my P30 and P30SK. It's slight, but it is consistent. It isn't very pronounced at 10 yards, but at 20-25 yards it become an issue.

I've mostly shot 1911s and their clones. I'm a pretty experienced pistol shooter. At 30 feet, I can empty a mag slowly, and 10-15 rounds all touch - they're just 1-2 inches left. At 25 yards I have a 3-4 inch group - but also 3-4 inches left.

I currently own a Sig P938 and a Glock 17, and I shoot true with both of them. I have a laser bore sight and it's not the guns.

I've adjusted backstraps, I've tried different grips, I've tried putting in snap caps. I'm not anticipating, and I don't seem to move the gun left when I do dry-fire practice.

I have both a P30S and a P30SKS, both in variant 3. It is actually *less* pronounced with the P30SK. Neither gun are "new" - I've had them for about 2 months and have 1-2k rounds through each of them.

Has anyone struggled with this before? Is it the trigger? What do I need to focus on to correct this? It is driving me MAD.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, I will subscribe to this. I have p30 and p30sk v3's that I shoot left. A buddy, a very good pistol shooter, shoots the guns left.

I am actually taking a full day, basic, handgun class tomorrow to see if I have 30+ years of bad habits to break.

I will follow this with interest.

#3 · (Edited)
This is the best I can muster, firing extremely slowly. The two round targets were fired in groups of 5 rounds. The 50-foot one is more typical of where my shots will end up at 30 feet. The 30-foot round target is the best I've ever done in terms of not shooting left. Taking it slow doesn't usually seem to help, though.

Shooting sport Recreation

#5 ·
1) look carefully at the front and rear sights in the dovetail and verify they are centered. I have received three new HK pistols recently, and all of them have a slight rear deflection (opposite your problem).

2) consider whether your eyes see sights the same as most other people. With iron sights, for the last twenty years, I have needed a slight rear deflection with all handguns, regardless of platform and type. If it is just with the two HK pistols this is unlikely.

3) understand that guns are individual, and may shoot right or left, high or low, because of tolerance stacking or other manufacturing variation. Different loads also have a different point of impact. For example, my Glock 19 MOS shoots my Berry's 124 reload two inches higher and 1.5 inches left of where Federal 124 AE ball hits in the same pistol.

4) try to figure out whether you are pressing the trigger straight back, so as not to disturb the sight alignment as the shot breaks. Many right hand shooters have the rear sight on their Glock, in particular, deflected so far right, it is practically hanging off the slide. You might experiment with how you place your finger on the trigger. On a Gen 3 Glock, for example, I use less finger than I do with a Gen 4 Glock that has a different dimension. On the P30, I like the large blackstrap, as I believe it helps me to press the trigger straight back. Experiment with all of this.

#6 ·
Are you right-handed? If so, you could be slightly jerking the trigger. Many would say no but that's been my experience as an instructor for the last 14 years. IF this is the case, try to use less of the meaty part of your finger and be smooth when you pull it to the rear. Also, check that front sight. I've seen some both used and new be off center by an eighth to a quarter of an inch.

#11 ·
I know with my hk45 I was putting good groups to the left consistently. Once I started using less finger and found the right part of the pad of my finger I was able to get them them on target with many more dead center shots. That and learnijg how to pull straight back. Still have my moments when I'm shooting faster but when I employ those fundamentals I stop shooting left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.