HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a USP45 factory threaded barrel for my standard USP45 full size (thanks for the heads on the sale at hkwebshop btw!). I've seen varying opinions here, but what is recommended by HK? Do I need a USP45 tactical recoil spring assembly to shoot it suppressed? If so, anyone have a link to one, they don't appear to be in stock anywhere on the hkwebshop or HK parts.net, brownells, cheaper than gold etc... Any advantages of buying the full RSA vs just changing to a wolf spring on the standard RSA?

On the same note, I have a p30 9mm that I have a factory HK threaded barrel and would to shoot suppressed as well. Do I need a different RSA as well?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hk says that if your just gonna shoot suppressed once in a while your stock spring will work just fine. If you plan to make it regular occurrence or say home defense, you should use the Tactical RSA. Call HK they should have one they can sell you, buy the assembly, do not change out the spring. Wolf spring work just as well too so sayeth HK.

HOWEVER!!!!! it is better to buy the Tactical RSA because, the rod for the Tactical/expert is larger and helps for properly timing a suppressed pistol. So while there are cheaper solutions that are just fine, best idea is to just buy the tactical recoil assembly.

That is a no on the P30, no other RSA exists for a P30.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hk says that if your just gonna shoot suppressed once in a while your stock spring will work just fine. If you plan to make it regular occurrence or say home defense, you should use the Tactical RSA. Call HK they should have one they can sell you, buy the assembly, do not change out the spring. Wolf spring work just as well too so sayeth HK.

HOWEVER!!!!! it is better to buy the Tactical RSA because, the rod for the Tactical/expert is larger and helps for properly timing a suppressed pistol. So while there are cheaper solutions that are just fine, best idea is to just buy the tactical recoil assembly.

That is a no on the P30, no other RSA exists for a P30.
I'm not knowledgeable wrt shooting suppressed. Could you elaborate on how a recoil rod would effect timing?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I'm not knowledgeable wrt shooting suppressed. Could you elaborate on how a recoil rod would effect timing?
Thanks
Stronger/weaker springs slow down or speed up unlock of barrel from slide, thus affecting timing.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Tactical RSA is different from Standard USP, it's for use with a can.
The OP's question pertained to simply changing out the spring to a Wolf spring. The response indicated that, like your response, it was better to buy the whole RSA - "HOWEVER!!!!! it is better to buy the Tactical RSA because, the rod for the Tactical/expert is larger and helps for properly timing a suppressed pistol. So while there are cheaper solutions that are just fine, best idea is to just buy the tactical recoil assembly..

Hence my question as to what role the guide rod plays wrt "timing".

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got off the phone with HK cs, They do recommend the tactical recoil spring assembly. They don't have one in stock but I ordered one back order.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The OP's question pertained to simply changing out the spring to a Wolf spring. The response indicated that, like your response, it was better to buy the whole RSA - "HOWEVER!!!!! it is better to buy the Tactical RSA because, the rod for the Tactical/expert is larger and helps for properly timing a suppressed pistol. So while there are cheaper solutions that are just fine, best idea is to just buy the tactical recoil assembly..

Hence my question as to what role the guide rod plays wrt "timing".
I am not fully aware of the physics involved. However the RSA for the USPT 45 is longer. specifically the point where the spring ends and you have the head of the recoil assembly rod that attaches under the barrel lug. That part is longer has a secondary relief cut, and the half circle area that sits over the slide release levers bar is shorter. these very small dimensions affect the delay and lock up times of the drop barrel design with the increased pressure a can produces, to achieve the best cyclical rate under pressure from can usage. Much like using a different buffer in an AR when suppressed.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks for your two posts - they reflect the crux of the recoil rod timing issue. Interestingly enough, in the thread indicated, starting with post #18 there still seems to be an unresolved question as to whether or not the visual differences are cosmetic or functional wrt timing. I tend to agree with your assessment, if for no other reason, why make a purely cosmetic change with no functional impact.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Thanks for your two posts - they reflect the crux of the recoil rod timing issue. Interestingly enough, in the thread indicated, starting with post #18 there still seems to be an unresolved question as to whether or not the visual differences are cosmetic or functional wrt timing. I tend to agree with your assessment, if for no other reason, why make a purely cosmetic change with no functional impact.
Yes i agree, they would never willingly spend the money to do that if they could just get away with different spring poundage's. Which is what HK stated to me about it in the past.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts