HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am right handed but left eye dominant so I shoot left handed.

I am thinking about picking up a USC carbine, but was curious what the left handed shooting experience is like.

I've seen some youtube videos of folks shooting it and it looks like it will work but I wondered if anyone on the forum had any experience shooting it left handed.

(I searched the forum and saw a post where someone was contemplating moving the charging handle to the other side to make it easier to shoot left handed -- is this really necessary?)

Any input would be welcome.

thanks

Rick

·
Registered
765 Posts
Not specifically the USC, but I have shot the UMP (and own a MP5 clone). The only thing that bothered me, as a lefty, was the location of the cocking handle. For reloads, I found that rolling the gun clockwise almost 90degrees, and reaching my support hand over the top to hit it worked the best. If someone else has a better suggestion, I'm open to it, but that's the quickest method I've found.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Not specifically the USC, but I have shot the UMP (and own a MP5 clone). The only thing that bothered me, as a lefty, was the location of the cocking handle. For reloads, I found that rolling the gun clockwise almost 90degrees, and reaching my support hand over the top to hit it worked the best. If someone else has a better suggestion, I'm open to it, but that's the quickest method I've found.
This is what I do for off-hand drills.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
I shot a match last summer and ran half of it left handed. We had to go right on the course hitting whatever color target and then double back and hit the other color that remained. When right handed, going from left to right is duck soup... easy to keep the muzzle downrange between stations. However, when you reverse the course, the right handed person has to crab-run or just hold the gun one handed pointing downrange to move with any speed AND keep the muzzle downrange. I watched for awhile and without ANY practice, decided to START from the right side of the course shooting left handed. The movement between stations went great, but I need more time/experience shooting "wrong-handed" :biggrin:. And then when I reached the end, I picked up considerable time when I reversed and ran the course left to right shooting my normal right handed method.

I've now started practicing left handed shooting. I've noticed no real difference in eye domination. My 50mm red dot seems to work with both eyes... unusual? I was thinking of putting a spare Eotech on the HK-34. I was also thrown off my pace a bit manipulating the gun left handed. It was all so foreign. I still placed in the center of the group that day and hadn't shot one round of competition since the same match the year before.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I do the opposite. I roll the gun counter-clockwise, and reach underneath. I like to keep dirty hands and sleeves away from my optic. Also when reaching over the top, there is a possibility that the charging handle will get dragged by your right hand into the locked position if you don't release it cleanly. Finally, it has the advantage of placing the ejection port face up, so that you can see if there is a jam or debris.

I also practice a reload where I release the grip with my left hand, swap the mag, and use the left hand to charge. Not a desirable situation, but I sometime have a small shoulder bag with extra mags on my left side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts