HKPRO Forums banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
How do you explain the VP9 or .22 LR 416's?
You know, occasionally supermodels will decide to go to the prom with some random high-school kid, too. It's not because she can't get a date, or because she has decided she is going to change course and work a retail job at the mall and marry a plumber.

The .22 and hey, for that matter, the licensed airsoft and BB guns? It's marketing. Porsche brands gym bags and baseball hats, too. HK doesn't let production capacity of their real stuff suffer in order to produce those nonsense guns -- they farm it out to Umarex, or Walther. And I dont know, but I suspect it wasn't HK going to Umarex for a licensing deal.

I'm not sure what people here have against the VP9, exactly. Sure, its less expensive than their other offerings. But my understanding is that is why striker-fired polymer pistols are popular across the industry to begin with. They are cheap to manufacture, hence those savings can be passed on to the customer. In any case, despite the price-point the VP9 has a few features -- particularly in the ergonimics -- that set it apart from most of its competition.

And Porsche does make the Macan, after all.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
I'm not sure what people here have against the VP9, exactly. Sure, its less expensive than their other offerings. But my understanding is that is why striker-fired polymer pistols are popular across the industry to begin with. They are cheap to manufacture, hence those savings can be passed on to the customer. In any case, despite the price-point the VP9 has a few features -- particularly in the ergonimics -- that set it apart from most of its competition.
When I was at HK offices last summer, it was mentioned about the VP9 being proposed for a number of agency/LEO requirements around the country, which is one reason they added the button mag release (to be compliant with requirements for a button mag release instead of the HK lever). HK mentioned all the requirements were for striker fired pistols. I asked about requirements for a hammer fired pistol like the USP, and they replied it had been quite a long time since there were any requirements for hammer fired pistols. Seems the current climate is for striker fired pistols that can be made inexpensively.

·
Registered
331 Posts
HK used to be the leader of innovation.

First polymer pistol with the VP70.
First accessory rail on the USP.
First replaceable backstrap on the P2000.
First replaceable side panels on the P30.

Now they are just following everyone else and the latest fads with the VP9.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You must have inside info, no? Thought not. You're wrong, but again, enjoy your SIG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is he wrong?

HK has messed up time and time again over then last decade. They could have made gazillions instead of seemingly being in danger of financial ruin time and time again.

Look how late they were to the pistol game with the popularity of braces and whatnot, you have all these different companies making a straight KILLING off them (ptr, tommybuilt, omega, etc)..

Kind of seems like its just been same ol boring melty polymer handguns

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
How is he wrong?

HK has messed up time and time again over then last decade. They could have made gazillions instead of seemingly being in danger of financial ruin time and time again.

Look how late they were to the pistol game with the popularity of braces and whatnot, you have all these different companies making a straight KILLING off them (ptr, tommybuilt, omega, etc)..

Kind of seems like its just been same ol boring melty polymer handguns
In case you didn’t notice, you are responding to a post from three years ago, responding to someone who is deceased.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

Let's be real here though. The VP70 was then and is even more so now a pretty crappy pistol to use.
Also that USP rail was the Beta Max of accessory rails. And what's more insulting is they don't even make lights for it anymore and they still won't change the stupid thing.
(I do not accept the apologist..."just get a rail adapter" BS either)

HK has a TON of "firsts" in the industry; what difference does it make if it can't last and compete when others catch up or (dare I say) eclipse it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
HK must have priorities other than the commercial market because it feels like it's an after thought. Reviewing pistols at shot show we see many manufacturers with pistols of all frame sizes, new strikers introduced in multiple sizes (FD, compact, etc.) slides pre-cut for red dots, and many threaded barrel models that come standard with suppressor sights (my biggest pet peeve with the VP9 Tactical)
And the pricing on the P30? Walther just introduced the Creed, a hammer fired DAO pistol (think Lem) for less than its striker fired guns. And a far better trigger than Lem which is frankly old technology. I think I am finished with waiting for the crumbs of the military and LE markets to be tossed my way.

Frustrated HK fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A true HK fan would know how this works but then again this is the internet and people vent because they can. :9:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
This same whining every year. They announced the coolest thing in YEARS from them (SP5) a month or so ago. They are tuning up their VP9. I guess they could be like SIG and just barf out beta crap every year but I for one like HK's approach of delivering finished projects aimed at a specific need.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Also that USP rail was the Beta Max of accessory rails. And what's more insulting is they don't even make lights for it anymore and they still won't change the stupid thing.
True, but IMHO lights and rail on pistols suck anyways.
I chose to use a separate light that I carry and use everyday.
As a direct result, I keep up with maintaining the batteries to boot.

Of course you can choose to not use or buy anymore USP pistols if the rail design really bothers you that much...just saying :biggrin:

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,524 Posts
A midlife improvement to the USP pistol line would be a good thing. Starting with the rail is the obvious start. Grips would be next.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Walther had replaceable backstraps in '96.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Not to jump on the band wagon, but in general when I hear they were the leader in innovation I immediately think of "the French were the leader in firearm design and technology." Not so much anymore. I am excited for the first time in some time in regards to the HK booth at SHOT Show this year and hope to not be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
And I'll mention that 1911's and other antiques have had removeable "side panels" for a long time. Does changes in the mainspring housing geometry count as "backstraps" too?
<thumbs_up.jpg>

Can we extract some DNA for John Browning's bones and send it to Jurassic Park? We need some designs to rehash for the next 100 years.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
And I'll mention that 1911's and other antiques have had removeable "side panels" for a long time. Does changes in the mainspring housing geometry count as "backstraps" too?
this is true, however HK was first in the polymer frame market to have adjustable side panels..... I think that was what @igs was getting at....

as for the initial post, HK generally announces new/improved products later in the year than SHOT..... that has been their track record for the past several years anyway......

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
As to those looking for HK to produce an "improved" USP, they already have.
It's called the P2000 (USP Compact), P30 and L (USP), and HK45 and C (USP 45 and C).

·
Registered
119 Posts
The thread that never dies.

I was a decade long "Glock Fanboy". When I look back at my actions I was just insufferable. When I started getting into HK firearms I was extremely frustrated with the lack of options and accessories. I never had to wait before. It took almost a year for a P30L to become available. I think I waited 9 months for a factory threaded barrel to reach my doorstep. I don't even want to disclose how I obtained red and white colored magazine followers. I bought some rare stuff on a whim off of an Instagram post. I just tried to purchased more 20rd P30 magazines and it looks like they are gone again.

Whatever you can think of is a click away for Glock stuff. Now I have a box full of expensive useless accessories and parts. People build entire Glocks without using a single part made by Glock.

HK is weird to me because it is almost like if you want it they will never make it but they have the bare minimum of what you need. HK has missed the boat on a ton of opportunities. I still will carry my Sig P365 every now and then when my P30sk is cumbersome.

Years later this thread still has action should tell you a lot about how people feel about HK being slow to market.

Reactions: Lamont

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
As to those looking for HK to produce an "improved" USP, they already have.
It's called the P2000 (USP Compact), P30 and L (USP), and HK45 and C (USP 45 and C).
Exactly. Please leave the USP as is. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
HK is weird to me because it is almost like if you want it they will never make it but they have the bare minimum of what you need. HK has missed the boat on a ton of opportunities.
Semi MP7. It's already a closed bolt.

Semi MG4 and MG5. FN Has sold 10k of these easy, the semi M249 SAW, at $9K @ pop. And yet the HK-USA folks look at me like I have a **** growing out of my forehead when I tell them they could sell 10k MP7 semi's. AND NOW that FN has stopped producing the 249 semi, prices are going up......

H&K doesn't GAF about you, or any other civilian. They sell to you because they must to survive, not because they want to, if they had their druthers they would never sell a gun to anyone but the various governments. Imagine what we would do to an American firearms company that told us that to our face in so many words.......

81 - 100 of 129 Posts