HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’ve Fleming Sear already (brought it just a few months ago), but someone just offered me a good deal on another sear pack.
Should I buy it or keep my money in our saving? I’m worry about the upcoming election & crazy future ban ideas, etc.
On the other hand, the sear price came down recently and will never have this chance again.
I still remember when I laughed at that guy who tried to sell his sear for 5K not too long ago… look at me now, I’m crying every time I think about that incident.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Invest in 401K, collect what you love.

Class 3 has historically been a good investment for your dollar; however, just like anything collectable, buy it because you love it. Don't invest in Class 3 hoping to turn a dollar. Do it because you enjoy shooting or like most, just like having something that everyone else can’t have. I almost lost a marriage because I foolishly tried to explain to my wife how this thing was a good investment and how she should support the idea. Invest in 401K, collect what you love. That is the best advice I can tell you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting question. If you are buying for an investment, buy an item that appeals to the largest pool of potential buyers who can afford your item. It is all about percentages lets say it goes up 25% based on a $12k sear thats $3k. Why not buy stripped AR lowers for $100 each and sell them for $125 by Nov '08 or soon there after? My point is spreading the risk in your investing is always prudent. Or if you want to make money on non-registered items ammo has been a clear winner. Ordered case of wolf 223 for $194 before the end of year now same distributer has it listed for $269!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice... that's what I thought too.
I've already invested in IRA and other good stuff.
Guess I should buy some more host guns.
:)

Class 3 has historically been a good investment for your dollar; however, just like anything collectable, buy it because you love it. Don't invest in Class 3 hoping to turn a dollar. Do it because you enjoy shooting or like most, just like having something that everyone else can’t have. I almost lost a marriage because I foolishly tried to explain to my wife how this thing was a good investment and how she should support the idea. Invest in 401K, collect what you love. That is the best advice I can tell you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Your welcome Coolhand.

So now that I can dispence with the moral principals and all...

Where is that great deal on a HK Sear that I am sure my wife will love for her birthday?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd say, Yes, if you can afford another one. I have a trigger pack or sear for all of my host weapons. Then again, I bought all of the over 10 yrs ago!
They have gone up in price a lot since then.

·
Atta' Boy!!
575 Posts
How much is a "good deal"? Personally I'd wait 6 months and watch the market!

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's probably the best advice I've heard in a long time. The more I learn about c3 people, principles, etc, the more I realize it's not actually a very good investment. It's risky, speculative and terribly non-liquid. Not to mention, the accessories one starts to buy as a result. I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of new MG owners actually lose more than they gain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Class 3 prices only started rising around '89, and especially with the HK sears. So historically, that's only a life of 20 years with any significant increases. Remember that it just takes a 'tax adjustment' with a transfer tax rise to $5,000 which will basically kill the C3 market. So take all the advice posted here and buy for enjoyment and not investment.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Class 3 prices only started rising around '89, and especially with the HK sears. So historically, that's only a life of 20 years with any significant increases. Remember that it just takes a 'tax adjustment' with a transfer tax rise to $5,000 which will basically kill the C3 market. So take all the advice posted here and buy for enjoyment and not investment.
+1 Purchase for the enjoyment. If a transfer tax increase ever happens and does rise to say.... $5000.00......you will still be sitting well. The prices may drop on C3, but I do not believe they will drop enought to offset the transfer tax. They will in turn be more expensive to get into as a whole. You would also have to consider in-state sales, you would be ahead $5000 immediately in comparison to an out of state transfer. An in-state sale would be very desirable. This would have a role in determining as the market played out.

An increase in the transfer tax would probably kill eliminate a few C3 dealers though. Eventually the prices will probably rise perhaps at a much slower rate, however...you never know they could increase. The harder C3's are to obtain.....maybe the more desirable.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Personally, I don't watch the sear prices as far as determining market value. I watch the price of MP5s with registered sears. These are the easiest to sell of all machine guns, everybody want's one. There is always a demand for very nice, correct MP5s by Vollmer, Dyer, RDTS, Fleming, Curtis Higgins, or Qualified. Selling price of MP5 minus the cost of building host= current value of sears. You will notice that in 2007 the price of sears passed the price if registered receiver guns for the first time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts