HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HK expanding US production. Possible 20% border tax. New German HK's in the US might become pretty rare.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Only if one specifically wants a German made HK. Personally it makes no difference to me.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
^^ Agree, I might want to buy German for sentimental reasons if the price difference isn't appreciable, but unless quality actually lessens when they manufacture stateside (cough..sig..cough), I won't care.

·
Priest of the P7
5,031 Posts
Remember when made in America was a good thing and conscientious consumers tried to buy US made goods? I have a German made hk45 and a couple US made and I'd bet you one of them that if I covered the markings you couldn't tell one from the others.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Remember when made in America was a good thing and conscientious consumers tried to buy US made goods? I have a German made hk45 and a couple US made and I'd bet you one of them that if I covered the markings you couldn't tell one from the others.
except for the fact that we'd clearly see 'something' covering the stag horn.

:)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
+1
There is a bragging rights cool factor with an all German gun :cool:
But my US HK45 Compact quality is equal to my German made HKs :biggrin:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have fine German dirt. Vintage 1993 its better :9:

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
i like that german attention to detail, but american made is ok too. There already did that with BMW's. They were going to make the new 3 series in mexico...not sure if there going to do that anymore.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think German will be worth more, always. Simply because "German" goes hand in hand with quality. It would be another story if we were taking a Chinese product and producing it in the US.

I agree that the quality between German and US made HK's is equal. The HK45's are an example, so no need to worry about "Sig USA Syndrome".

Despite that, purists will be purists. Similar to Arsenal SGL's vs FIME SGL's, they're the same thing, but one commands a higher price for no practical reason.

Add to that: we caught a break with the current administration, but political climate changes like the seasons. Sooner or later, we'll have some Anti-2A administration that is bent on "preventing weapons of mass destruction" from being imported into the US.

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
Are there any rumors to HK coming to America?
Not rumor. It is happening. HK is breaking ground on a US production facility in Columbus GA. They already have designers there (German and American) working on product designs. Likely @ 2 years before full product run off that line but they could make the "unimportable" parts there (barrels, bolts, etc.) and assemble complete weapons with German-made parts kits. It is HK's intent to make the US their design center. This was the plan in the early 2000's until the owners then ran off with the $20M set aside for it (and many more millions later putting HK deep in the red to the tune of > $150M Euro).
That allows them to:
1. Make and sell products developed with US IP in the US that they could not export from Germany due to the German War Weapons Act and to a lesser extent US import restrictions (I'm hoping for a "UBL's Dead" Commemorative 10.4" HK416!).
2. Allows them to export all US IP products from the US that generally the German govt would not approve from Germany, again due to the German War Weapons Act.
3. Will hopefully help HK respond faster to US trends, customer requests, etc for new/different variants, parts, accessories, mods, etc.
4. Give them more political pull on Capital Hill for competition against others, get Congressional plus ups on existing contracts, etc.
5. Make more money to reinvest in personnel, facilities, new product and accessories, marketing, etc.

All good news IF they maintain their quality standards. We shall see.

I am wondering if they have thought about inviting President Trump or VP Pence to come down for the ground breaking, throw the first shovel of dirt. I would. Could you imagine the press on that!? Involve nearby Fort Benning leadership, the local community and their Senators, Reps. Maybe announce a new product there/then. F__K YA! I'd have fun with that.

G3Kurz

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I have 2 BMW's LOL.........and uh German quality? Yes I love the ride they have but they can be maintenance nitemares, let me add these aren't new BMW's I don't have it like that. Germans tend to over engineer, much like the desired WW2 weapons, even the MP40 which was designed to be mass produced was still made amazingly well, the counter part British Sten was the ideal for mass production. I would love to own all german Rifles and the MP5 series I just can't afford it lol.......they are sweet tho.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Not rumor. It is happening. HK is breaking ground on a US production facility in Columbus GA. They already have designers there (German and American) working on product designs. Likely @ 2 years before full product run off that line but they could make the "unimportable" parts there (barrels, bolts, etc.) and assemble complete weapons with German-made parts kits. It is HK's intent to make the US their design center. This was the plan in the early 2000's until the owners then ran off with the $20M set aside for it (and many more millions later putting HK deep in the red to the tune of > $150M Euro).
That allows them to:
1. Make and sell products developed with US IP in the US that they could not export from Germany due to the German War Weapons Act and to a lesser extent US import restrictions (I'm hoping for a "UBL's Dead" Commemorative 10.4" HK416!).
2. Allows them to export all US IP products from the US that generally the German govt would not approve from Germany, again due to the German War Weapons Act.
3. Will hopefully help HK respond faster to US trends, customer requests, etc for new/different variants, parts, accessories, mods, etc.
4. Give them more political pull on Capital Hill for competition against others, get Congressional plus ups on existing contracts, etc.
5. Make more money to reinvest in personnel, facilities, new product and accessories, marketing, etc.

All good news IF they maintain their quality standards. We shall see.

I am wondering if they have thought about inviting President Trump or VP Pence to come down for the ground breaking, throw the first shovel of dirt. I would. Could you imagine the press on that!? Involve nearby Fort Benning leadership, the local community and their Senators, Reps. Maybe announce a new product there/then. F__K YA! I'd have fun with that.

G3Kurz

... and I'm only a few hours away... I'd be there to see that!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have 2 BMW's LOL.........and uh German quality? Yes I love the ride they have but they can be maintenance nitemares, let me add these aren't new BMW's I don't have it like that. Germans tend to over engineer, much like the desired WW2 weapons, even the MP40 which was designed to be mass produced was still made amazingly well, the counter part British Sten was the ideal for mass production. I would love to own all german Rifles and the MP5 series I just can't afford it lol.......they are sweet tho.
I've had a few BMWs too. A 330cic made in Germany, a X3 made in Eastern Europe and a 2nd X3 made in South Carolina. Also had a new Mustang with a transmission made in China. Point being,, there is good and bad everywhere, but the IP is where it's at.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Maybe HK USA will reintroduce the HK91 with paddle mag release :D

Sent from my Nexus 5X

1 - 20 of 59 Posts