HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am in the market for a new 9mm. I have narrowed it down to a Sig p226R 9mm or an HK p30. This weapon will serve as a range gun and CCW weapon. I know I will own both but I don't know which one I want first. I have only held the P30 once at a gun show and I loved it. The weapon felt better than the Glock 19 because it did not scrunch up my middle finger into the trigger guard.

My only concerns are about the trigger and accuracy. I understand the trigger pull is rated to be about the same weight as the p226R's and the p30 is almost as accurate. I want to hear from those who own both how the trigger and accuracy compare.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My 2 cents. I had my choice narrowed down to the P226 and the P2000. Both where in 40 SW. I heard about the P30 so I waited to see what it looked like plus held. I've now changed my mind and will buy the P30. Why. I love the way it feels in my hand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only problem is there is no where to rent these in Northern Virginia and no places I've called around me has them in stock. I guess it comes down to which one has the better trigger.

I must say though when I held it the gun felt so much better than the g19. Its like the size/length of the grip of the g17.

·
Registered
823 Posts
P30 is as good (trigger wise and every other area) as the P226. It' really better because the grip is so much better. I found the DA pull on the P30 so much better than the 226 or 228, that I sold both Sigs. The only point of having a Sig was the better DA pull. That's history.

Stay away from phosphate 226's. The treatment leaves the metal softer and much more susceptible to galling.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I had a Sig P226 Elite 9mm and while it was a great gun the P30 is so much better for me. The P30 is much more comfortable to hold and shoot then the Sig. Another thing that I LOVE about the P30 is the excellent decocker (the best on any gun IMO). There is no need to move/shift your hand around to decock like you do on the Sig. Just a quick shift of your thumb and you can decock. Accuracy is about the same with both guns but I was able to shoot the P30 better most likely because it is so much more comfortable to hold. The triggers also feel about the same with the Elite having a shorter single action reset due to the SRT (Short Reset Trigger).

The P30 should be alot easier to CCW as it is much lighter and slightly smaller. I have sold my Sig (although I want to find a nice West German P226) and will never let my P30 go!

·
Registered
377 Posts
The P226 9mm is a gun everyone should own.

The P30, although it is a terrific gun, is just kind of the 'new kid'.

The P30's trigger is better than the USP or P2K, but still isn't as nice as a Sig IMO.

If this is for CCW, get the P30 as it's much lighter. If it's for range use and HD, the P226 really cant be beat.

FWIW, I passed on the P30 to buy another P226, however if the P30L were available I would have bought that instead, however I do already have a couple P226's.

That should clear it all up for you... :40:

*edit*

I was just thinking, you should probly ask this same question over at Sigforum.com. That way everyone here can tell you to get the P30, and everyone there can tell you to get the P226. If you want the P30, and are just asking the question to hear other people agree with you, get the P30.

If you cant shoot or handle each one, the only thing I can tell you is this; you cant go wrong with either, both are the 'best of the best' and you'll be happy with either. I still stand behind my statement, that if you want a target/HD gun, the P226 is the better choice. Just my $.02..

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
In my opinion, the SA on the P30 is nothing less then perfect. Very short and smooth. The DA is not bad either. Both DA and SA modes on the P30 put my USP's to shame.

I find the DA on SIGs (P229 SCT) to be "mushy" where as the P30's has a much cleaner motion from front to back. Also, the breaking point seems more predictable than with the SIG.

What can I say, HK will always be my preference. It's like they built these guns for my hand, espescially with the P30.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The triggers on the two weapons will be very similar. Where the P30 shines is in its interchangeable side and rear panels to tailor your grip, which, turns into better control and increased accuracy...

Also, the controls of the P30, IMO, are better than the Sig with no chance of preventing slide lock-back that can happen with an off-grip on the Sig; the decocker on the P30 is superior to the side-mounted Sig decocker, IMO...

Overall, the P30 is just a better thought-out gun -- from overall size, to controls, to ergo adjustments. IMHO, a 15+1 9mm should not rest in a frame-size that's required for a 10mm or .45ACP. The P30 is sized correctly -- the P226 is larger than it needed to be...

·
Registered
288 Posts
You can't even come close to what a sig trigger can be on a P30 though or any H&K. A stock sig trigger is pretty good, but send it off to Bruce Grey or back to Sig for their AEP and the trigger is 2nd to only a well tuned 1911 trigger for semiautos. Gunsmiths can't make H&K triggers as nice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The P226 9mm is a gun everyone should own.

The P30, although it is a terrific gun, is just kind of the 'new kid'.

The P30's trigger is better than the USP or P2K, but still isn't as nice as a Sig IMO.

If this is for CCW, get the P30 as it's much lighter. If it's for range use and HD, the P226 really cant be beat.

FWIW, I passed on the P30 to buy another P226, however if the P30L were available I would have bought that instead, however I do already have a couple P226's.

That should clear it all up for you... :40:

*edit*

I was just thinking, you should probly ask this same question over at Sigforum.com. That way everyone here can tell you to get the P30, and everyone there can tell you to get the P226. If you want the P30, and are just asking the question to hear other people agree with you, get the P30.

If you cant shoot or handle each one, the only thing I can tell you is this; you cant go wrong with either, both are the 'best of the best' and you'll be happy with either. I still stand behind my statement, that if you want a target/HD gun, the P226 is the better choice. Just my $.02..
Excellent! HK makes the most comfortable grips of all my guns, but the SiG trigger is the sweetest.

My 229:

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can't even come close to what a sig trigger can be on a P30 though or any H&K. A stock sig trigger is pretty good, but send it off to Bruce Grey or back to Sig for their AEP and the trigger is 2nd to only a well tuned 1911 trigger for semiautos. Gunsmiths can't make H&K triggers as nice.
I just sent off my first Sig, a P220 I got last summer for my birthday, to GGI for the Reduced Reset Comprehensive Duty package. I feel like a little kid waiting for his birthday or Christmas, 6-8 weeks is going to be an eternity.

·
Registered
562 Posts
HK is working on a trigger for the P30 that will be just as good or better than the expert trigger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts