HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several months, I've basically gone full circle with, to me, an upgrade. After shooting Glocks for several years I had the misfortune of shooting a friend's Sig P226. I sold both of my Glocks (23/27) and bought a few Sigs (229/220 Carry). The 229 was great but the 220 Carry was anything but. After 300 rounds of various ammo it went back to Sig as it wouldn't load the last round in any of the mags. I put another 350 rounds through it and it still wouldn't work. In the meantime, I bought a P2k .40 LEM. It quickly became my carry gun. The Sigs were seeing more safe time than range time so last week I unloaded them and ordered a P2Ksk .40 LEM from Clyde's.

I went to the range last night with both of them and I can say I've found what works for me. I still have a few others to shoot or for my wife to shoot but these two will be my primary. Guess I knew generally what I wanted in size and caliber, just had to find the right feel for me which is HK. I think the Sig 229 is an excellent gun, just a little too heavy for me to carry and I really like the LEM.

Next up for fun will be the 45c that will be converted to LEM and will be my night stand gun but the P2K/sk combo is about as perfect for me as I could dream!

Glad to be all in with the HKs! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sig makes really nice guns and I'm sure the stories of bad Sigs are few and far between. Still, when you say that you've found what works for you, that's what's most important. Now all you need to do is send some pics :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sig makes really nice guns and I'm sure the stories of bad Sigs are few and far between. Still, when you say that you've found what works for you, that's what's most important. Now all you need to do is send some pics :)
he meant-

ig makes really nice guns and I'm sure the stories of bad Sigs are few and far between. Still, when you say that you've found what works for you, now all you need to do is send us some pics, that's what's most important. :)
:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Why do you hate Sigs? Did you have some sort of terrible experience with one?
I'll be happy to tell you why I hate Sigs – My P220 Match had FTE problems right out of the box. Problems occurred for me, a couple of Firearms Instructors and range masters. So the gun had to go back to Sig. Although Sigs customer service answers the phone eventually (hint hint HK), they are rude, condescending, and argumentative.

I sent the gun back to Sig, when it came back, there was a note saying that the gun was extremely dry by the Sig “tech”. After I clean my firearms, I always err on the side of too much oil and lubricants. When I went to the range to see if it was repaired, same exact problem – they had not done anything to it. The problem was so bad that I had to rack the slide multiple times to get the spent casing to eject. Again I let several other experienced people try it- same problem.

When I called Sig customer service again, I had to argue with them to take it back. I was told that it was my fault, that the gun was very dry when I sent it to them. I even asked Sig, if they were sure that they had looked at MY gun.

The SECOND time back to Sig – I had to call several times over a few weeks to see where my P220 Match was. When I got it back, it appears that someone had actually worked on it. The problem appeared to improved or fixed, but I was so disgusted with the entire situation, I put the gun in the safe and haven’t taken it out since.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I have two Sig 228 models and a Sig 229.

I LOVE MY 229!! It is perfectly balanced.

HK makes some nice handguns but I cannot move away from my 229.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I think Sig makes an excellent pistol. I should know I have 10 of them! I love Sigs and HKs. All my Sigs and HKs for that fact have been excellent weapons.

But I would really like to know why SFguard doesn't like them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I too have recently traded a Sig for an HK. I am down to my last Glock, but I LOVE my G17 and don't see it ever leaving the stable.

My wife bought the first Sig I ever handled. A P229 in .40 and she bought it 3 or 4 years ago. It is a well crafted, first rate pistol and has worked flawlessly with the execption of a single box of sketchy ammo. It is a pure joy to shoot, and I don't like .40!

After shooting a friend's P220 (W. German) I had to have one. I bought a P220R. I had multiple failures to load rounds and sent it back to Sig. I took it out after getting it back and it jammed again, same problem. Furthermore, I noticed from day one that the slide had machining marks on the inside of it, consistent with dull cutters. Upon further inspection of some other new P220Rs, I noticed similar "dull cutter" marks and crooked laser etching on a slide. When it worked, it was an awsome pistol, but the quality is not what it should be for a $750 gun. IMHO, Sig's quality has taken a down turn and until it improves, I'll stick to the used W. German ones. In this instance, I turned the P220R into an HK USP 45f and am very happy!

While I was still enamored with the P220R, I bought a W. German P228. The P228 is a very well crafted piece that hasn't skipped a beat since I bought it.

SIGs can be wonderful guns, easily on par with Glocks and HKs for reliability and craftsmanship. But I am no longer convinced that the new ones are.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Sig's QC has gone to hell and hasn't come back. :53:
The 556 was a joke, the P250 turned to be more of the same, but you can get a platinum if you want some bling though. ;) lest we forget beaver tails.

Looks like the new Kimber guy has some pull.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Sig's QC has gone to hell and hasn't come back. :53:
The 556 was a joke, the P250 turned to be more of the same, but you can get a platinum if you want some bling though. ;) lest we forget beaver tails.
The older Sigs were the best. I want to find a nice West German P226. I don't know what Sig was thinking with their new stuff :27000000:. Like others have mentioned there has also been alot of recent QC issues.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Why do you hate Sigs? Did you have some sort of terrible experience with one?
The grip angle is ALL wrong for me, and I think they feel like holding a block of wood. I honestly can't think of one thing that I like about the way they feel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
For what it's worth... I have 6 SIGs and have never had a single malfunction.
For me, the ergonomics and pointability, are perfect.
If you like the LEM trigger, check out the smooth as butter DIG DAK trigger!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
The grip angle is ALL wrong for me, and I think they feel like holding a block of wood. I honestly can't think of one thing that I like about the way they feel.
Fair enough. Some people like them, some people don't.

As for me, when I said I have 10 Sigs, I should have said , I have ten older Sigs. Older meaning before the Kimberzation of Sig. No beaver tails and no BS. Just pure wholesome combat pistol goodness.

I believe the last Sig I bought was a German frame P226 Navy U-code non-rail. I have Mepros and a Surefire P-series on it. I would love to pick up another P220ST/P226ST.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts