HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Held the new SIG P250 today. It is brand new in a local shop going for about $600-$699 depending on finish and standard/night sights.

My first impressions of this pistol is it is VERY unlike all other SIGs. I am familiar, as most of you probably are, with the venerable SIG 225, 226, and 229. These guns feel very solid in the hand, however the P250, to me, does not. My initial impressions on the polymer grip is it just doesn't make for a very solid feel on this gun. Maybe I am too used to HK polymer frames which do seem to feel more sturdy in my hand. I am also used to SIGS having all metal frames so when you pick the P250 up it just feels too light to be called a SIG. Hard to describe, but the HK polymer frame would be my preference. I think because the P250 frames are modular it means they are really just a plastic shell for metal components, and I think this is where most of the light weight feel comes from.

The DAO trigger feels alot like LEM to me. Light DA that was very very smooth. Thats all I can say about the trigger without shooting it. The sights were the standard SIG-LITE night sights and the hammer was bobbed off like a USPc. The gun pointed well and felt comfortable in my hand, albeit not as comfortable as a P30 or the HK45. Again being an HK nut I didn't like the push button mag. release, after having the ambi. ones on the HK I doubt I can ever go back. Also I noticed the mags. do not have the numbered holes on thier spines to tell you how many rounds are in them. To me this was an oversite on SIGs part because every new gun seems to have these and why they left them off I cannot understand.

All in all the gun seemed very nice and would make for a nice carry gun. Personally, if I were to spend about $700 on this gun I would just spring for a little extra to get an HK, but thats just me. The overall design of the gun as well as the price point is unlike any other SIG out there thats for certain. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Also I noticed the mags. do not have the numbered holes on thier spines to tell you how many rounds are in them. To me this was an oversite on SIGs part because every new gun seems to have these and why they left them off I cannot understand.
:D
The witness holes are on the sides of the mags instead of the backs...did I say mags...I meant mag as they only come with ONE...grrrr...don't get me started.

HK_MTBR

·
Registered
215 Posts
The witness holes are on the sides of the mags instead of the backs...did I say mags...I meant mag as they only come with ONE...grrrr...don't get me started.

HK_MTBR
I have a couple P250s and some extra mags coming in this week. Let me know if you are interested.
JDP7

·
Registered
823 Posts
I was hoping for alot more from Sig on this one. Sig has been too concerned with beavertails, rails, "Platinum Pistols" and other non-sense and has missed the boat w/the bread and butter stuff of combat pistols.

Make the P250 comparable to Glocks at the same price point. It's too high to compete with Glocks, SW or XD's. The trigger is horrible on the P250 for the price and the quality is sh!t compared to HK. QA has suffered across the board, with Sig trying to be too many things to too many people meanwhile they send one mag with the gun. What is that!?

Sig has lost it's top tier status with me, I've sold all my Sig's. They disappointed with the 556, and now this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too was excited at one point for the 250, but after I got a chance to hold one it was a bit of a letdown. It is nice and small for carry, and I actually don't mind the trigger for CCW, but it just feels...mediocre. I know it is aimed at the glock crowd, but it fails to really differentiate itself. Maybe to an armorer, but not so much for an individual.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping for alot more from Sig on this one. Sig has been too concerned with beavertails, rails, "Platinum Pistols" and other non-sense and has missed the boat w/the bread and butter stuff of combat pistols.

Make the P250 comparable to Glocks at the same price point. It's too high to compete with Glocks, SW or XD's. The trigger is horrible on the P250 for the price and the quality is sh!t compared to HK. QA has suffered across the board, with Sig trying to be too many things to too many people meanwhile they send one mag with the gun. What is that!?

Sig has lost it's top tier status with me, I've sold all my Sig's. They disappointed with the 556, and now this.
I didn't notice the holes cut in the side of the mags. instead of the rear. I only popped the mag out breifly while playing with it and once I didn't see them on the back, I thought it was weird and pushed it back in. :D

I didn't even realize it only came with one mag! :(

Actually joehk I was somewhat waiting/hoping for your reply. If you don't remember we got in a discussion before about the interchangable grips on the P250. I am surprised at your response, and at the same time not. You seem like a man who can spot a good firearm and you seem to have the same feelings about the P250 as me. Even though the original idea of interchanable grips was a good one, just like you after holding a P250 I am not impressed and would still buy HK over it anyday. It seems that the addition of this grip swapping feature has lightened the grips to a point where they feel thin and flimsy. Normally SIGs are very nice guns and maybe my opinions would change after shooting it, but as it stands it did seem, as you said, like a "cheapened" SIG.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I handled one briefly a few weeks ago... First thing I noticed was how WIDE and blocky the slide was. Since it was built big enough to fit a .45 down the road, the slide is way bigger and thicker than it needs to be for 9mm. Also, the mag is loose in it. you can jiggle it all over the place, just feels wierd... but the thing just looks like a glock slide (glock 21 in 9mm that is) with a different, palimer frame... I did find the grip very comfortable though...

·
Registered
823 Posts
Even though the original idea of interchanable grips was a good one, just like you after holding a P250 I am not impressed and would still buy HK over it anyday.
Here I was waiting for the next best thing, and it was already out in the P30.
Handling the P30 was a revelation, shooting one was a validation of that epiphany. I believe that.

I think interchangeable grips are a true innovative and novel idea, but having self-analyzed it, sometimes the most radical changes are the one made in small increments. HK did this with the grips on the P30.

By focusing on a few iterations of a proven design, HK is able to provide the ultimate in new combat handgun design. Bravo to them for their focus. It makes the wait that much more rewarding and the end result that much sweeter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was able to check out the 250 yesterday at a local shop ($569 in black, $599 two-tone) and was less than impressed. I have a few Sigs and this one doesn't come close in my opinion. The feel of the gun was o.k. but the trigger was horrible. I know it would smooth with use but it felt very gritty. The trigger travel was LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG! I've loaded crossbows with a shorter travel than this trigger. To me the slide is too square but I understand why they did it...with only one mag, when you run out of ammo you can cut the BG with the edges on the slide!

Think I'll pay the extra $200 and get a P30 to compliment my P2000.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
jdavis, I am normally fond of SIGs as well, theres is no way I can knock a good pistol like the P225, P226, or P229 even though my preference is HK. But the P250, as most have stated, just does not seem up to par with the other SIGs at all. I was told by the shop owner that the P250 was made mainly to compete with the Glock, but as joehk pointed out the price point is not the same as a Glock (about $200 more) and I still feel I would take a 30+ year tried and true design of the Glock over a new fangled P250 anyday. Sure the plastic sights on the Glock have to go, but I still feel it is a much better gun then the P250 impressed me to be. Glocks still manage to avoid that "toy like" feel to me but the P250 did not.

Your last sentence sums up my point perfectly. Why buy a P250 for $700 when a little extra cash can get you a HK? I wouldn't and neither would you. No compromise! :)

joehk, the P30 grips are second to none. Yesterday, after screwing around with the side panels we settled on large side panels and medium backstrap. At the range this gun was so accurate it was almost boring. Rapid fire groups easily hit COM at 30ft. with boringly repetative accuracey. All shots landed within the 6" circular "Shoot-N-C" targets we were using. The pistol was so accurate that the only way to miss was to do so on purpose! I was putting holes on holes with this gun and as any HK should it didn't skip a beat. I love the P30 more and more everytime I fire it.

Keep in mind we also had a full-auto UZI to play with, but I still found the P30 to be great fun due to it's insane accuracy. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why buy a P250 for $700 when a little extra cash can get you a HK?
To be fair to the 250, I think they are selling closer to $550 than $700. That said, I would still pay the extra $200 for a P30 any day and feel confident in that transaction. Knowing that they were going after the glock market, I didn't expect the 250 to be as put together as a 220, but I did expect a little more from Sig. Even at $550, it just seems like there are more attractive options available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts