HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of selling my unfired preban colt hbar and buying a sl-8.which rifle would be more accurate? are there any reliability/durability issues with the sl8?i read on another sit that they have trouble with the frame/reciever cracking has anyone heard about this problem? would this be a smart swap?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Keep the hbar.

You have a pre-ban rifle, and would be settling for a rifle that is settling for ban rules.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The HBAR will probably be more accurate. The SL8 is a rifle I really like but a good AR HBAR probably has a slight edge on accuracy.

The issue with the cracking is that on the SL8-1 a crack develops at the front of the lower. You can reinforce it to reduce the possibility of getting the crack. You can also disable the BHO. (Personally I disabled the BHO and am reinforcing the lower as part of my SL8 Sniper project.) My understanding is that HK fixed this problem with the SL8-6 (currently imported).

If you do sell the Colt put it on GB as a "pre-ban" rifle and clarify that it is pre-94. Mass. and NY foolishly passed state level "assault weapon" bans that precisely mirror the 1994 AWB, and so pre-94 firearms sell at a bit of premium still if they go to these states.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advise,i'll probably keep the hbar now.i thought that the sl8 was supposed to be a more accurate rifle.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
my only issue with the hbar is its not a flattop.so mounting a scope is out.
Stick with the Hbar....

The SL8 is a good rifle, but it IS a neutered version of a real rifle. You have a full, unmolested rifle, and thats a lot better IMHO than a "compromise" made by HK to sell them! (not that the SL8 was a bad idea, i like the SL8 and its a good rifle, but a pre-ban is just better!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts