HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, Hello all my new h&k bros! I just got the sl8-1 from my dad who bought it brand new when it came out. It has probably seen less than 100 rounds. I am stoked about this rifle it is such an awesome piece of german hardware and great to shoot for a .223.

I have a decent scope already that I want to put on it for now and take advantage of the accuracy I've been reading about.

I see on this site that a lot of people do total tacti-cool conversions for these rifles but for right now i am considering a bipod and maybe a shorter rail like from the sl8-6. My only question is will this take away from the integrity of the iron sights? if i had to move the forward sight back on the rifle to mount on the front of the shorter rail what would this take away?

Like I said, I plan to put a 3-9x 32mm for now but do not want to jeapordize the option of original iron sights.... any help is appreciated

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would recommend going with one of the aluminum picatinny top rails. The cheapest one on HKparts.net is $60 for a low profile rail. Not a bad idea considering it will also mount your scope much closer to the bore. There are others thought which you may find useful. The link below is for the low profile rail.

G36 Rail - HKPARTS.NET

Good luck!

·
Registered
765 Posts
If I were going to mount a scope, I would find another rail (cheap) and cut it down (lengthwise), probably so that it's only as long as those two rear mounting points. I tried mounting a scope onto the SL8 rail but it ended up sitting too high for my comfort. It had to be so high for the front bell to clear the rail in front of the rings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what i have so far. I have cut down the rail to the forward most connection. I am going to the store today to find a mount for my scope to fit this rail. I will drimmel the sawed off edge later and was thinking depending on the profile of the mounts i can find today i may also have to trim down into the top of the rail in order for the scope to sit down on it. I will post pictures later

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

This is what I have now. the edges are still a little rough and i will try to polish that up a little later but i am really happy with it so far. I took it to the range yesterday to get the scope zeroed in and got a handful of compliments and random guys coming up just to ask me about it. It is a definite head turner but more importantly it is awesome to shoot

·
Registered
765 Posts
good for you, if you can shoot comfortably with that stock. I never could.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Looks great! I hope you enjoy it!

For cleaning it up, just get a bunch of wet sanding paper, maybe start at 200gr or so and then a few more at progressively higher grit to smooth it out. If you have a sanding block, great, but if not, just staple strips of sand paper to a piece of scrap 2x4 or whatever else you have on hand. It'll make it easier to work with and hopefully leave the sanding even on both sides.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
A tip for getting rid of the light grey on the area where you cut it, is once you've sanded it down (Go all the way up to like 400 grit if you can) then take a bit of gun oil and a soft cloth and massage the oil into the plastic, viola! will blacken it right up (and it will stay that way).

·
Registered
278 Posts
A tip for getting rid of the light grey on the area where you cut it, is once you've sanded it down (Go all the way up to like 400 grit if you can) then take a bit of gun oil and a soft cloth and massage the oil into the plastic, viola! will blacken it right up (and it will stay that way).
Nice! Never would've thought of that, thanks for the tip. I'll need that later.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I got the Aluminum rail and milled out picatinny sections that were causing interference. I just used an inexpensive Burris Fulfield II and low rings. Raised the cheek-weld slightly on the stock and I settle in perfectly every time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice! thank you guys for all the great input. i really appreciate it!

seven.sixtwo- looking good! ours look very similar

Ill give you guys another update... I GOT THE BUG BAD!

I love this thing. in the last couple of days i got another 10round and 2 20round mags, no mods needed! I also have installed a little pic rail up under the rifle because I'm playing with the idea of a bipod

Heres more updated pictures

1 - 15 of 15 Posts