HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question. I have an SL8-1 (gray) that I'm going to hunt coyotes with this fall. I have the black hand guard (no heat sheild) with the HK bipod. If I put enough down pressure on the front end, the hand guard moves up to contact the gas block and accuracy seems to want to go to hell. Just firing prone with the guard on a rest is fine but using the bipod gives just enough leverage for the above to happen. The area of contact is just aft of where the bipod mounts. Relieving this area seems to be a dicey option as I'd hate to weaken the bipod mount.

Has anybody else had this issue and what did you do if anything to correct it? I still have the original gray hand guard that has plenty of clearance but I'd hate to have to buy another bipod to mount on it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I never used the black handguard, so I don't know what the issue there is. Is it a loose fit, or a different structure internally vs. the grey handguard?
I simply installed a bit of 1913 rail to the grey handguard and fit a bipod... worked fine.

Cheers,
C

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a little of both. Both hand guards are kind of a loose fit with quite a bit of play. The black handguard has some extra beef/plastic around the front where the bipod fits on and that is what contacts the gas block and barrel. I was bragging to a buddy about what a tack driver it was and ended up spewing lead all over the target. Returning to the problem, I figured out that as long as there was minimal down pressure on the guard, it went back to being a tack driver.

I'm just reluctant to give up and buy another bipod since the HK one is so light, well integrated, and has some swivel.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If there is extra material vs. the grey handguard, the simplest thing would be to remove the minimum excess material. A Dremel with a pineapple cutting bit would do nicely. An alternative would be figuring out how to remove the excess play, preferably in a downward direction.

Cheers,
C

1 - 4 of 4 Posts