HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a SL8-1 and I am looking for somewhere to purchase the conversion to use my AR Mags. TO my understanding all you have to do is change the Mag Well and the Bolt? Is there more mods that must done? I amnot interested in changing the stock to a folding stock as that is what I am seeing? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

ruja

·
Registered
152 Posts
Once you change your imported rifle to use AR mags, it is no longer considered a "Sporting Rifle". It CAN NOT have more than 10 imported parts.

"§ 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term "imported parts" are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

If you have your number of imported parts to 10 or less and want to go the AR conversion route, you WILL have to mill out some of the receiver to accept the wider AR (double stack) magazine. How good are you with a dremel tool?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parts List

Thanks for the clarification.

I do feel comfortable milling out the reciever myself. Do you know where I can find the adapting parts? To my understanding I am going to need a different mag well and a different bolt to accept the AR mags?

I am just inquiring as to where I can obtain these parts.

Thanks,

J

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Check the forums, I saw an ad posted recently from someone wanting to sell the AR magwell adapter. You will still however need to purchase a new bolt (one without the lug shaved off so you can feed double-stacked mags).

·
Registered
325 Posts
As EmptyMag said, under ATF's current interpretation of the sporting purposes test in the 1968 GCA, modifying an SL8 to take high-cap mags makes the SL8 an unimportable rifle. Thus, assembling that rifle yourself using imported parts is illegal. You have to incorporate a sufficient number of non-imported parts so that under s. 178.39 the rifle is not considered "imported." For my own SL8 magwell project I am incorporating U.S. made magazines (3 parts), a U.S. gas piston, a U.S. sear, and a U.S. trigger. There is no (separate) barrel extension, muzzle attachment, trunion, pistol grip, or buttstock -- so that is a total of 9 imported parts that are used. Unfortunately the only way to get a definite answer as to whether your project complies with ATF's current (unpublished) interpretation of the 1968 GCA is to write to ATF's Firearms Tech division in Martinsburg, WV. It is my opinion that everyone should do this all the time. That way there will be some pressure on ATF to publish its interpretations. I start every letter with something to the effect of "As you know, ATF has not published its interpretations of these provisions in the Federral Register."

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Oh, and YES, should work with either model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts