HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my rifle 6 weeks ago, but due to uncharacteristically poor weather in Northern California, last weekend was my first opportunity to take my new toy out to the firing range.

After a quick preliminary zero at 50 yards, I moved the target back to 100 yards to see what type of groups I could get.

Wind was calm, elevation was 150 feet, and temperature was 68F. I used a Nightforce 5.5-18 x 50mm scope for the accuracy and function tests. I started out with Winchester 55 grain XM193. Grouping was around 4", but that isn't too surprising due to the 1:7 twist of the barrel, intended to stabilize heavier bullets.

After the expected results with XM193, I moved on to what I thought the rifle wanted anyway, some 62 grain Federal XM855. The grouping was just under 1.75" (I will discount one flyer of the five round group, because it was me getting excited and jerking the trigger instead of slowing down and shooting properly).

What I was most impressed with was the recoil impulse. The rifle shoots smooth and doesn't spit grease in your face like my D.I. AR-15 is prone to do. The rifle worked flawlessly (I only put about 80 rounds down range) with both ammunition types and the stock 10 round magazines. The bolt held open each and every time the rifle exhausted its supply of ammunition, and recoil was as light if not a bit lighter than any other 5.56x45mm carbine I have shot. I was pleased with the trigger pull, there was little, if any creep and the trigger broke clean every time

The major negative I have with this rifle are the ergonomics - which are horrible. There are three specific issues I have with the rifle as it comes out of the box;
  1. The thumbhole stock precludes the use of the safety - at least it is ambidexterous
  2. The scope rail is too high and hence moves the centerline of the scope far too high above the ability of the cheekpiece with the stock hardware to compensate for it - no matter how many spacers you use, you must replace the cheekpeice hardware
  3. The cheekpiece comes with one spacer, which barely raises the cheek piece up to the level where you could use iron sights - forget about using anything but the lowest profile optics

Easy fixes for this are to use a lower profile scope rail, like the G36-C or the aftermarket aluminum ones that HKPARTS has for sale. Either of these rails would lower the scope to a point where the stock cheek piece has a chance of giving a good cheek weld. In fact, on that is what I blame the marginal accuracy - I could not get an acceptable cheek weld, no matter how hard I tried.

All in all, I LOVE the rifle. I love the fact that it is a neutered G36, I love how it shoots, and I love the stares (and drooling) the rifle gets at the range. Would I buy it again? Yes. Would I recommend it to another person? Yes. Would I like to change a few things? Sure, but look at my AR's, they have enough aftermarket stuff bolted onto them to double their price, easy.

That being said, I do intend to do a G36 conversion on the rifle - Via a stock block from HDPS, a hicap magazine well conversion, and a shortened barrel with a pinned and welded flash suppressor.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great looking setup. I just recently purchased an SL8-6 and waiting for it to get to my FFL. Just wondering what brand/power scope is that on yours?

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Nice looking rifle and good shooting. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Great looking setup. I just recently purchased an SL8-6 and waiting for it to get to my FFL. Just wondering what brand/power scope is that on yours?
As TX Pistolero mentioned the scope used is a Nightforce 5.5-18 x 50mm scope, a damn fine scope indeed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts