HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SL8 coming from GM, what is the best place to begin on a conversion? Money is not really an issue(for once) I just want it done right. I am not really into modifying the reciever for a TBostic conv just yet and I want to be able to swap out configuations as will at least for a while until I get some rounds down range and get an idea of what kind of direction I want to head with it(sniper or CQB).

-Jon

·
Registered
42 Posts
HDPS - you can't go wrong

http://www.hdps.org/htm/5-1-1.htm

Ed does great work with a fast turn time. If you check around this board you will find he is well respected and considered the premier SL8 conversion service.

If you are not into the stock block which requier receiver mods, you may want to see if you can find a Covington SW stock conversion, which removes the folder option of stock but maintains simlar LOP of G36. You may be dissapointed with the aftermarket folder available because it makes the overall length a little to long, and the square hinge is right on your cheek when firing.

good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If only that made enough parts(HDPS) to convert one completely without SBRing it. I guess it will have to be a combination of their's and TN parts to get close to a "E" style conversion without violating 922r. Who checks on that anyway?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Parts count

If I am not mistaken, you need 5 US made parts. Mine included TN bolt, gas piston, and Covington stock, as well as Tbostic mag floorplate and follower. That way you can run g36 magwell/mags too.

I don't know if there is a 922r inspector or anything, but having an legit weapon is more wise than not - if in fact you are at the range and happen across an atf agent it would behoove you to have correct parts (it would be a bummer to have a $3k gun confiscated for a $20 part missing) and I am certain you won't get a manufacturer (HDPS) to create a non compliant gun. You can also use a KAC forend for the parts count. SBR would solve your 922 concerns for sure, and open up a bunch of options.

·
Registered
285 Posts
option

If money is not an option which you stated, just SBR the rifle and dont worry about compliance parts. Unless ofcourse you FA the thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts