HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the largest magazine that can fit in a standard non-modified SL8-6? It is 10rds max correct?

I am looking to get one but I am not sure if I should get one pre-modified to take AR-15 magazines or not. I think the AR-15 Magazines would be a lot better so I can get 30+ rd mags.

·
Registered
7 Posts
10 rounds max out of the box. You can use they AR adapter but that requires some modification, but you get to use readily available AR type mags (US parts). Yoa also need a different bolt. You can also have the G36 magwell installed but this also requires wepon modiifcation. The G36 magwell would also require a different bolt assembly here as well (I don't know if the same one for the AR setup would work. Other than that, AFAIK, you limited to the 10 round mags.

That being said anyone know of a place to get the AR mag adapter setup (without having to buy the package from TN that includes the stock)?

·
Registered
39 Posts
no, the factory isn't gonna modify it, that's why they make a civi version. it's very easy to do, once you get your ar magwell or g36, which is the one i use, you hook it up in the same place as the sl8 mag well, put lipstick on the top edge of the magazine push it up against the unmilled area and take a dremel tool and cut, mill and sand the areas marked by the lipstick. then you need a double stack bolt which just has one more lug on it than the sl8 one thats slanted instead of straight. if you don't want to buy the US or hk double stack bolt, contact tom bostic on this site and he'll weld up your lug on your sl8 so it will work with a double stack mag, he does it for 35 dollars. the expensive alternative is to send it to hdps, top notch, or a local gunsmith to do it for you. it did my whole conversion my self except for barrel cut down. look on gunbroker.com for g36 magwells or ar magwell for g36 conversions, they're on there for cheap.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mag Conversion

You may be able to find an AR15 magwell if you watch Gunbroker.

If you modify the SL8 so that it will take staggered mags, you bump up against the 1968 Gun Control Act and the so-called "sporting purposes" test -- which means that you need to comply with the "10 parts" rule so that you don't have an "imported" rifle that is "not suitable for sporting purposes" (according to the current set of bureaucrats at ATF).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts