HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow HK fans, I am in the process of zeroing in my new SL8, but I can't find the info about the bullet trajectory like the m16 manual has. I know that bullet flies on a parabolic path, but I can't find a range over 50 yards long for now. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Once a bullet leaves the barrel, it doesn't matter what barrel it came from. Look for ballistic data on the bullet you're using. If you're using the same cartridge as you would in an M16, use the M16 data.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Have to agree 99% with the comment "once the bullet leaves the barrel, it doesn't matter what barrel it came from." The only real factor is the height of the sights over the bore line, which factors into trajectory with respect to the line of sight. On most AR sighting systems this distance is a nominal three inches.

In your case would probably zero dead on at 50 yards and then you should be good to go out past 200 yards (i.e. second zero). You could get a little more fancy and zero at 36 yards and/or sight in once in high at 50 yards, but I think you would do yourself a disservice doing this until you have a 100 and 200 yard range to check and shoot at (i.e. too easy to be way high). If you sight in at 25 yards, you will actually be sighting in almost too high for most 5.56 uses.

More reading at: AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories - M4Carbine.net Forums (found by searching for Improved Battle Field Zero and similar).
Photo is "borrowed" from above link and is for 55gr (M193) from a 16" barrel:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts