HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Ireland.

I'm waiting on delivery of a new SL8-5 from Germany. This comes with the long rail and iron sights. A buddy of mine also managed to get me an ACOG TA31 at a good price.

As I don't yet have the rifle here yet ( 2 more long weeks...) I can't judge whether the height of the ACOG will be ideal when it's mounted on the long rail. I suspect that I probably need the shorter aluminium rail which will raise it higher and more into line with my eye. The ACOG is designed with the M16 in mind and of course that has a carrying handle which also raises the shooters viewing hieht above a top rail.

Basically, I'm about 90% certain I need the shorter, higher rail but as these things are never cheap (especially over here) I'm just wondering if you guys can help.

Being impatient, I'm trying to get all my bits and pieces to hand before the rifle gets here so I can start playing with it straight away. I already have some modified Steyr AUG magazines on the way from another place in Germany and a smaller Red Dot for on top of the ACOG on the way as well.

thanks a lot, any help much appreciated.

freddieot

·
Registered
731 Posts
IMHO the Acog on the SL8 rail will be way to high. If it were me I'd get a G36E rail and use the ACOG on that. I have the SL8 rail with a nikon scope on my conversion though so YMMV :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I very much doubt you'll need a higher rail.
If you fit an ACOG in the carry handle of an AR-15 it's damn high and you won't have any cheek weld.
If anything, I suspect you may have to get a spacer for the stock's cheek piece to make it higher.

The rail on an SL8 is higher (in relation to the stock) than the rail of a flattop AR-15.
So if you mount an ACOG on your SL8-5 using the flattop mount, it will sit higher in relation to the stock than it will on a flattop AR-15.

I have an SL8-5, and an AR-15 with an ACOG. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Impatient as I am, I suppose it makes sense to wait to get the rifle and see how it fits.

·
Registered
279 Posts
brugger & thomet make SEXY G36 rails ... thell fit right on ! there pricey though... but there worth every cent !!! .... did i mention how sexy they are ?? :p:p:p

·
Registered
375 Posts
i use a g36c rail with my acog and it works fine (with a k stock though), you shouldnt need any spacers for the standard one

·
Registered
375 Posts
i got my rail on gunbroker.com kinda got raped for it @ 235$ shipped...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts