HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gathering information on various "works" to do on my SL8 and wanted to find out, if say one was to get the receiver milled and the opening properly covered (i.e., tbostic/chopstix type approach) but not yet fully implement the G36 bolt... if I was to then attach the single column magwell and try to run the single column mag for a while (saving up funds etc.) would it feed ok and be otherwise functional? Would the single column mag go in there without wobble/play and shoot fine? I guess basically the question comes down to the order in which the conversion is to be done if one was to do this one step at a time...
Any thoughts on this would be highly helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If milled properly, using the standard sl8 magwell will allow you to use your stock sl8 mag with minimal-no wobble.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Something to consider: once the receiver is milled and filled to allow a double stack (aka high capacity) magazine, you might have to comply with 922(r). You might be able to get away from it, if you do not even own the double stack magwell, magazines, or a new bolt with both feed lugs. However, because these are easily swappable parts, you should check with ATF to be sure, or play it safe and get the parts count down. If you continue with your OEM SL8 bolt and magazines, you're at 14 foreign parts (by my count).

Converting to U.S. made magazines, such as AR mags, or the Magpul G36 mags reduces your foreign parts count by 3. Another one with a U.S. bolt, in order to get the second feed lug. Sticking with the SL8 rear section reduces the usual foreign parts count of a converted clone, because it's all combined into that one part. So, you're left with rear section, receiver, barrel, forend, piston, push rod, Bolt carrier, trigger, hammer, and sear as foreign parts. By my count that is ten total imported parts which makes you legal. Someone please chime in if I missed one.

Then, you can worry about which other parts to swap later if/when you convert more of the weapon.

If you know you are going to convert more of it, and are just trying to space out the cost. Saving the receiver work on the magazine well until the end, means you won't have to worry about 922(r) until it is all finished. My biggest problems with the SL8 prior to doing my conversion was not the magazine capacity. It was the "thumbhole" stock that I absolutely could not get comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yeah, the thumb hole stock was my reason for converting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the advice. I am already working on getting the 922r compliance, so far I have the piston (1), op rod (2), US promag (3,4,5) (10rds, better completely get rid of the HK mags to be safe) and a magpul pistol grip (6) and an ACR stock (7) (these are not yet back from tbostic for some work). So that's 7 parts, and then eventually get the receiver milled and filled and bolt exchanged for a US part (8), but because of the laws here in NY, I am also considering running the 10rd single stack mags for a while to avoid confusions, also I would like to slow down on the conversion process to save up some money/repair damages to my wallet. I guess I can always buy an AR or G36 10rd mags too... That is good to know. So I guess if the milling is done properly by someone like tbostic, then the 10rd single stack mags should still work then... thanks for that info, good to know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts