HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new, unfired SL8-6 (got lucky). I immediately ordered the ACR stock conversion piece from Tommy Built and am considering other pieces/parts. I'm considering a few options with what's next and have some questions about the Hensoldt optics and other mods. Can you use an incomplete rail and get another manuf optic? Has anyone not fully converted their SL8 to doublestack? Has anyone kept the 20" barrel? Thanks for your insights/thoughts.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Send it to Tom Bostic for any conversion work. Tom did my SL8 to G36K stub fusion conversion. He remarked it also. Super nice.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Just bought a new, unfired SL8-6 (got lucky). I immediately ordered the ACR stock conversion piece from Tommy Built and am considering other pieces/parts. I'm considering a few options with what's next and have some questions about the Hensoldt optics and other mods. Can you use an incomplete rail and get another manuf optic? Has anyone not fully converted their SL8 to doublestack? Has anyone kept the 20" barrel? Thanks for your insights/thoughts.

Joe
If I were in your shoes I'd pay Tom to fully convert it to double-stack, with the rear stub weld and a full remark.

At the very least I'd have it converted to double-stack.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. Any preference going to AR or G36 magwell? I figure you get 3 US parts for an AR mag and they’re easy to come by as well.

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Any preference going to AR or G36 magwell? I figure you get 3 US parts for an AR mag and they’re easy to come by as well.
My preference would be for the G36 magwell with the Magpul G36 mags, which will give you the same number of parts.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
G36 magazine well for sure. G36 mags are not that expensive if that is of a concern. $30 each for German ones, give or take. A bit cheaper for the US Magpul mags.

Have Tom Bostic do the full conversion using a G36 rear end as already mentioned, you will eventually want to go that route anyways if you do anything "lesser" believe me, I've been there. Might as well do it right the first time and save some money in the long run too. As for the barrel, if I were do to another and keep it a non-SBR, I'd look in getting an E barrel. Tom can also convert your SL8 barrel to E profile, which would be cheaper than buying a real E barrel assembly. You would need to source a bayonet lug (for the authentic look) and flash hider. That would still be cheaper than buying an E barrel outright. They go for up to $1,000! (Worth it though, to me anyways)

You can get US made floor plates and followers for the German G36 mags, last I checked. When 922r is a concern, the Magpul mags and AR mags do offer an additional "part count" over the German ones with US floor plates and followers since they have US made mag bodies. I'm sure you could find a US flash hider, and since you need a double stack bolt (SL8 bolt is single stack) a US G36 bolt will be cheaper than a German one, and will count as an additional US part. I believe US gas pistons are available too, that would be an easy thing to swap if it is of a concern.

Enjoy! It's one hell of a rifle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What’s funny is that I scoured everywhere for an SL8 and found this one through FB at a pawn shop in Cocoa, FL. Called a friend in Orlando and he stepped up and picked it up for me for only $1k.

In the meantime I was chatting with Tom by email and I found the ACR stock conversion that’s a drop in for the thumbhole stock. I ended up getting it before he moved from my area down to FL.

It kinda sucks I just didn’t have the rifle go right to Tom when he moved but the rifle came up here. Now I’m considering the E barrel and magwell conversion and just stick with the original receiver.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
What’s funny is that I scoured everywhere for an SL8 and found this one through FB at a pawn shop in Cocoa, FL. Called a friend in Orlando and he stepped up and picked it up for me for only $1k.

In the meantime I was chatting with Tom by email and I found the ACR stock conversion that’s a drop in for the thumbhole stock. I ended up getting it before he moved from my area down to FL.

It kinda sucks I just didn’t have the rifle go right to Tom when he moved but the rifle came up here. Now I’m considering the E barrel and magwell conversion and just stick with the original receiver.
You did good at $1k. Guy in south Florida selling his for $4k!!! Lol!
Congratulations!!!
M.

·
Some gun guy
81 Posts
You did good at $1k. Guy in south Florida selling his for $4k!!! Lol!
Congratulations!!!
M.
For real. I thought I did alright when I got my SL8-1 at $1250, and that was used. $1k is basically theft.

OP, did you get an ACR stock block from Tom, or did you get the Hera conversion?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts

Nice score! That's better than 2013 prices. Haha

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ACR stock block from Tom. The rifle is enroute to my FFL and it’s late so I’m jonesing to get it into my hands.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking of sending the lower to Tom for the magwell work and barrel (to an E) but also to send the acr block and old stock to Triggerworks to transfer the internal and reduce trigger pull. That should just about do it except for finding a dual optic that isn't too outrageous. But honestly, I've been reading that the dual optic is to keep the iconic G36 look and the functionality isn't all that. I was thinking of going with a Primary Arms 5x prism scope on the stock rail.

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
I had the dual optic and thought it was pretty dismal as far as function goes. The optic has a narrow field of view and it’s like looking through a toilet paper roll. The red dot sits pretty high over the bore, and if you have a cheek weld for the optic, you’ll lose that for the red dot. Also, it takes a non-standard battery. The classic “look” is about the only reason to get one. There are much better, and much cheaper, optics out there.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I agree, the Dual optics are for show only. The optics available toady are way less expensive and a whole lot better.
For the G36 Dual you can get a high quality DBAL for about the same if not less.
However... I want the dual Optics.
Thanks,
M

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got it back from Tom. Starting with the barrel cut down and double stack for now. Love his work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts