HKPRO Forums banner

SL8 Do I have to have one??

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  AGG 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been seeing some of the new Black , white lettering SL8s available. I have been trying to convince my self into buying one, however for the money I could buy a Sig 551-A1
and it has all the items I would have to add on the SL8, pistol grip and folding stock, the barrel would have to be cut and threaded to add a flash. Thye both sell for about the same dollars, is the SL8 worth the $$

#2 ·
I say no I dont think the SL8 is worth it go buy the Sig.
A friend of mine just bought one last week (the SL8) and he brought it over today for me to install his new side folder stock and swap out all the internal trigger group in my opinion I do not like it at all here is why for one everything in the trigger group is plastic even the hammer and it looks like it will wear out and break soon. very heavy and bacicly all plastic I think it is way over priced for plastic you are just paying for the HK name. the same friend last year bought one of the SIG 551 or 556 not sure and it is by far way better than the HK SL8.

my 02
BIG50

#3 ·
They are two different guns. The SL8 is meant to be somewhat of a precision rifle with a heavy 20" barrel, thumbhole stock, and takes proprietary single stack mags. IF you're looking for EBR styling with a pistol grip, folding stock, flash hider, and hi-cap mags, then it's not for you. It's expensive to convert the SL8 to that configuration, both in conversion parts, and 922r compliance parts. For the SIG 556 vs. 551-A1, the only choice is whether you want to use cheaper and easily available AR mags or the more expensive and harder to find Swiss SIG mags. Other than a few minor cosmetic differences (color and flash hider), they are the same gun.

However, quality is not an issue with the HK. I have a converted SL8, plus both SIGs, and there is nothing wrong with the HK quality. Polymer guns and parts have been around for quite a while, and they are not inferior in any way when properly done. The SL8 isn't weak or easily breakable, and if you look closely at the hammer, it has a steel striking face embedded in the polymer. "Plastic" G36s have been used all over the worlds by military and LE, and are the standard arm of the German military. Lots of "plastic guns around, from the AUG to the FN P90 and F2000, and other guns have a lot of polymer like the SCAR and ACR, so I think people have gotten the hang of using polymer in guns.

I have a number of HK and an number of SIGs, and I'd take an HK over a SIG any day for quality and reliability. Note I'm speaking of the US made SIGs. The original German made SIGs are a different animal.

#4 ·
The original German made SIGs are a different animal.
German made? I think the Swish might take umbrage with that statement.

#5 ·
I don't think so. While the Swiss SAN 55x guns were made in Switzerland, by far the bulk of the European made SIGs in the US (the P2xx series) were made by SIG Sauer in Germany. I was speaking about the quality of the products in general, not just specific guns.

#6 ·
I own some Sig rifles, none of which are the new Exeter Sigs. I own the Sig rifles from when they were quality, well built and indestructible. I am a purest at heart and to see something copied (551) in such a horrible manner is sickening.

Go with the SL8 and convert it to a G36. OR purchase a real 551.

#9 ·
I own some Sig rifles, none of which are the new Exeter Sigs. I own the Sig rifles from when they were quality, well built and indestructible. I am a purest at heart and to see something copied (551) in such a horrible manner is sickening.

Go with the SL8 and convert it to a G36. OR purchase a real 551.
Personally, the SL8's have never interested me (albeit a G36 conversion)!!! :rolleyes:
I agree with the "pre-89" SG551, but I do not think that "5card" wants to spend the needed $10-15K for one. :biggrin:

Tony

#7 ·
So, why is the 551-A1 so horrible compared to the Swiss 551? I have a 551-A1 and it seems fine to me. It's tough for me to believe its so horrible to make up the price difference with what the Swiss 551s are currently going for. Granted, I'm sure the original 551 is better, but that much better? Even real HKs don't have that much price difference over clones.

#8 ·
With the discontinuation of the sl8 I'm inclined to think a new variant is coming hopefully with a hi cap mag for us and refined design features. Or they may drop 36 completely for the 416/417 evolution? Curious thing is how dealers are blowing out the remaining sl8's at wholesale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.