HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. I just purchased a SL8-1 at a local pawn shop for $800. The gun is in excellent condition. I am not crazy about the grey color so I decided to dye it last night. I mixed 5 parts black dye with 1 part yellow in 4 gallons of water. I used Rit powdered dye. I brought the water just shy of boiling added the dye and submerged the parts. I left them overnight. This morning I removed the pieces and the handguard and housing look terrific. The stock, butt plate, and mag well did not take at all. I prepared all pieces the same. I cleaned them with laquer thinner before submerging. All 3 pieces look like the same material as the other and it is all factory H&K. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Sometimes a coating will repel the dye. I know (because I am an RC nerd) that RC wheels that have been glued will not dye where the glue has been.

Also, When dyeing... You should leave things for several days. To go further... I will set a space heater pointed at the trough, pot, etc to keep up the water temp for better saturation.

Post pics of all attempted pieces.

·
Registered
914 Posts
$800?!?! Sorry for the thread jack, but sheet! A hell of a lot better than the $2000 I spent on mine!

PS talk to Copstix Kid or Tbostic about dying. They do it all the time to these guns!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes a coating will repel the dye. I know (because I am an RC nerd) that RC wheels that have been glued will not dye where the glue has been.

Also, When dyeing... You should leave things for several days. To go further... I will set a space heater pointed at the trough, pot, etc to keep up the water temp for better saturation.

Post pics of all attempted pieces.

Any suggestions on a good solvent? I cleaned all pieces with laquer thinner before I attempted to dye. The pieces are not taking the dye on the exterior or interior. I attempted to dye it again before I went to work. I reheated the dye, submerged the pieces again, 10 hours later came home, same result.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$800?!?! Sorry for the thread jack, but sheet! A hell of a lot better than the $2000 I spent on mine!

PS talk to Copstix Kid or Tbostic about dying. They do it all the time to these guns!
I normally don't go to pawn shops, but last week I went looking for a weedeater someone stole from my business. As I'm looking for my stolen weedeater I stumble across this SL8. Now I'm glad someone stole my weedeater.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I normally don't go to pawn shops, but last week I went looking for a weedeater someone stole from my business. As I'm looking for my stolen weedeater I stumble across this SL8. Now I'm glad someone stole my weedeater.
Now you're gonna have me hunting around local pawnshops all week. Thanks a lot.

But seriously. What a steal!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I might sandblast them with the lease abrasive mix. I am not suggesting you do that (because I know some HK owners would think that is diminishing) but, I would

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Excellent deal for $800! My G36K conversion was originally a first year gray model. If you ever decide to do a conversion, you wouldn't have to worry about anything else to dye except the receiver.

·
Registered
541 Posts
When i dyed everything my magwell came out a dark purple color. It was in the same bucket for the same amount of time. Everything else came out fine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When i dyed everything my magwell came out a dark purple color. It was in the same bucket for the same amount of time. Everything else came out fine.
I have heard the mag wells are made of a different plastic than the rest of the rifle. I believe it's a more "Normal" plastic compared to the polymer type material used in the receiver.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I did mine about a year ago and it turned out perfect. You need to use RIT LIQUID dye, 3 black and 1 green mixed with enough boiling water to cover the receiver completely. I used an oven baking pan with a piece of cardboard wrapped in foil to be used as a lid. The key is to keep the water hot as long as possible. I left the receiver in the pan covered overnight and the water was still hot in the morning when I checked on it. I took it out after work that day and it came out perfect.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Any suggestions on a good solvent? I cleaned all pieces with laquer thinner before I attempted to dye. The pieces are not taking the dye on the exterior or interior. I attempted to dye it again before I went to work. I reheated the dye, submerged the pieces again, 10 hours later came home, same result.
Now I have never dyed one. BUT, I used to paint cars(IE plastic parts also) .. Laquer Thinner is a bad idea to clean plastic..
I would set the parts in the sun or oven to cook out any oils, use automotive plastic cleaner several times.. Then do it again.. you might have to heat it and clean it a few times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts