HKPRO Forums banner

SL8/G36 barrel swapping

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Nzfly 
#1 ·
How difficult is it to swap barrels in a G36? Is it similar to an AR where the barrel can be changed a million times without damaging the reciever? Or is it a tedious process with a risk of damaging the reciever?

I just purchased an SL8 and I'm undecided on which variant I'd like to have. If it's not a huge issue to swap barrels then I won't give it much thought and I'll just buy a few different front ends.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Very simple, but you need the proper tools or you can easily damage your receiver. You need the barrel mandrel, correct nut socket for the barrel nut and a torque wrench. You are looking at $200 plus for these new.

#3 ·
It's no big deal, many here have done it, including myself. You need a barrel wrench for the SL8/G36 barrel nut, mandrel, vice, and torque wrench when you re-install the barrel nut. Using the mandrel takes the force away from the receiver when changing out barrels.

There are certain SL8-6s that have some type of glue or something on the barrel nut that requires excessive force (and heat, preferably) to loosen. I have never experienced this, but it is something you should be made aware of. Others here may be able to chime in on what date code SL8-6s had this issue.

#4 ·
Congrats on finding one! What Alex is referring to is also mentioned by Ed on his website

HOMELAND DEFENSE AND POLICE SUPPLY CORP.

ATTENTION, before you send a SL8 for conversion in, please read this information:

1- If you are seeking any conversion that involves removing the barrel from your SL8 receiver, be aware that the last batch (2010) and forward of HK SL8-6 receivers that also have the serial number engraved in the barrel (left side under hand guard) will require an extra service fee of $95 for this barrel removal. Even using the proper Hk tools (Mandrel and Barrel Nut Removal Tool) to remove the barrel nut sometimes is very hard because Hk used Red Loctite by mistake on Barrel nut/trunion threads turning the necessary torque to remove the barrel nut way beyond from Hk own specifications for torque per HK G36 Armorer's Manual. Also, the barrel will need to be pressed out from polymer receiver.

#5 ·
That's great news. I was worried I was going to be married to my initial decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.