HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is the folding stock that comes on the TN kit inter-changable with a true German G36 stock?

Also, what is the US parts count for the conversion?

Thanks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
The TN stock conversion only gives two parts, the stock, and the pistol grip, which isn't enough by itself to lower to non-US parts count enough to be legal. It was intended to be used with the AR magwell conversion, which included a US made bolt and gas piston, and was assumed to be used with US made AR mags, which provided the magazine body, floorplate and follower. If you got the TN stock, AR magwell conversion, and used US made mags, you had a total of 7 US parts, which was enough. HTH.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So 7 is the magic number?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just to go on a slight tangent from the OP, does anyone know what the roll pin size is for the stock? I seem to recall it was 5 or 6mm. I'm having a bitch of a time trying to find a punch to drive it out so I can replace the stock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
does anyone know what the roll pin size is for the stock? I seem to recall it was 5 or 6mm..
my manual doesn't say what size it is, but 5mm sounds right.

i can't measure it right now, but i can do it later.

*the pin i use to disassemble the triggergroup and the recoil buffer is 4mm*

·
Registered
152 Posts
"§ 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term "imported parts" are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
I did a ton of research on this subject. Short of verification from the ATF, my findings (from studying the parts list in the SL8 manual and various websites) have been the import part count for the SL8 to be 15...

1) Receiver
2) Barrel
3) Bolt
4) Bolt carrier
5) Operting rod
6) Gas piston
7) Trigger
8) Hammer
9) Sear
10) Disconnector
11) Buttstock
12) Forearm
13) Mag body
14) Follower
15) Floorplate

If you use the TN kit, as from what I know of the TN kit, you use AR mags thus dropping a) mag body b) follower c) floor plate... brings the import count to 12 (the magwell itself doesn't count as a part dropped--the TN/AR magwell simply lets you use US made AR mags).

Next, you get a bolt-head and the gas piston... bring the import count to 10.

Last, you replace the thumbhole stock with their stock/grip... brings the count to 9. I have not personally seen the TN kit but I assume you must reuse the SL8 trigger internals.

If you'd rather use G36 mags with a genuine HK magwell and a genuine HK folding stock, you'll need to replace other parts to compensate.

Here's what I did...

a) HDPS stock block (no parts count change)
b) HK folding stock and HK pistol grip (+1 part = 16)
c) US made bolt-head (-1 part = 15)
d) US made trigger (-1 part = 14)
e) US made gas piston (-1 part = 13)
f) US made operating rod (-1 part = 12)
g) The S-E-2-F pistol grip I purchased was already converted to semi-only and I noticed that the disconnector was absent (-1 part = 11)
h) US made floorplates (-1 part = 10)
i) US made follower (-1 part = 9)

I went to 9 parts just to be safe in the event I missed something. I found a local company that manufactures all of the US "compliance" parts listed and I am currently testing the parts for them as they are new to the parts market. They also make a G36 magwell (while this will not drop your parts count, it's an alternative I almost went with as I had some difficulty located the genuine HK magwell... but I finally did find one).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what is this law about number of imported parts? Is it saying that to build a rifle that is not legal for importation, you must use no more than 10 imported parts on the gun? So as long as at least all but 10 parts are made/sold in the US, it is considered legal.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
The 922(r) lists 20 parts (see earlier posts in this thread). According to ATF publication, any modification of a rifle or shotgun to accept magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds must not contain more than 10 imported parts listed on the 922(r).

Of course those are only ATF guidelines. You do need to check your state laws as well, as some states may not allow more than a 10-round magazine at all.

So to more directly answer your question, YES... replace as many parts as you need to with U.S. made parts to bring your imported part count down to 10 or less.

DISCALIMER: The information I provide is MY understanding of the laws as they apply to the state I reside in. My research includes ATF publications, my state's publications and correspondence with the ATF and my state's State Police. I suggest that ANYONE considering modifcations to their rifle contact the ATF and their State Police and obtain written verification that your planned modifications are indeed legal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts