HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
By popular request, here's a sneak peak at Phase 2: Tbostic Gen-3

The rifle is "loose" assembled for the photo shoot as I am waiting for the camo paint I ordered. I'll do a full write-up with step-by-step conversion photos when the rifle is complete.

NOTE: The entire rifle (excl. pistol grip, barrel and carry handle) was blasted with alum oxide and prayed with textured paint to leave a consistent texture. I wouldn't recommend this as a final finish but I'm covering with camo Duracoat.

·
Registered
285 Posts
hmmmm yummy

Hey, so when you doin mine? LOL very nice work man. I wish you lived in Nashville or would visit soon hehe. Very good job Chops

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW, very nice and it's over 30 inches with stock folded to comply with MI laws...Nicely done!!
Actually, it's 29", so when I have it completed I've got to go register it as a pistol.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The conversions are looking batter and batter every year!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you thank you thank you! Can't wait till my paint comes in so I can get it sprayed and to the range!

·
Registered
236 Posts
VERY nice!!!!! I am just starting to get into the long guns now with H&K your not making it any easier to keep my money in my pocket with these pics and conversions!!!!!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, so when you doin mine? LOL very nice work man. I wish you lived in Nashville or would visit soon hehe. Very good job Chops
I've actually had a few requests... thanks to everyone who thought highly enough of my work to ask...

I'm going to contact the ATF next week to see what will be required of me to do non-SBR conversions for people.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I've actually had a few requests... thanks to everyone who thought highly enough of my work to ask...

I'm going to contact the ATF next week to see what will be required of me to do non-SBR conversions for people.
Can I make a few completely contradictory sounding statements?

No need to contact the ATF - I can tell you right now - you'll need a dealer or gunsmith FFL, but not a mfg FFL. See #5:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/071907firearms_manufacturing_scenarios.pdf

And here's another one:

(I1) Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms? [Back]
Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer. See Item 16, “Federal Excise Tax” in the General Information section of this publication.
[27 CFR 478.11]

Basically, if you want to do it for free, you're just a friend and no license is necessary. As soon as you start charging people for it, you're a gunsmith, and need a dealer license.

Now, having said all that - to be considered a dealer, you technically are allowed to make repairs without a dealers license as long as they are "occasional" and you are not "engaged in the business", which is meant for someone deriving their livelihood from the repairs. So if you just do it occasionally, you technically don't have to have a dealer's license.

But it doesn't really give a definite threshold of when you need a license and when you don't.

I'd like to start doing UMP conversions, they are so fun to do and look great. But the whole license issue is what keeps me from it right now. So if you get ahold of someone, let us know what you hear.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Dave, yeah I was reading up on that and you're right, very contradictory.

You and I are in the same boat then... would like to do it when the occasional opportunity presents itself, but we're not going to quite our day jobs.

For sure, when I get some "enlightening" news, I'll be sure to pass it on.

Thanks again!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've gotten quite a few PM's in regards to legality of this conversion so I'll explain it here...

I sent a letter to the ATF indicating the modifications I want to make and the reasons why. I also indicated that the rifle would remain Title-1 having a barrel length greater than 16" and an overall length greater than 26". I received a letter back indicating that the modfications I wanted to make were indeed legal as I was not "removing" the s/n.

I believe that "removing" the s/n as it was written in the GCA referred to the act of "permanently" removing the s/n. Thus, this type of conversion was deemed legal because the original mfg s/n will remain on the rifle.

Hope that clears things up for eveyone :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've gotten quite a few PM's in regards to legality of this conversion so I'll explain it here...

I sent a letter to the ATF indicating the modifications I want to make and the reasons why. I also indicated that the rifle would remain Title-1 having a barrel length greater than 16" and an overall length greater than 26". I received a letter back indicating that the modfications I wanted to make were indeed legal as I was not "removing" the s/n.

I believe that "removing" the s/n as it was written in the GCA referred to the act of "permanently" removing the s/n. Thus, this type of conversion was deemed legal because the original mfg s/n will remain on the rifle.

Hope that clears things up for eveyone :)
Wait, did you specifically TELL them you'd be "moving" the serial number? (as in, to a different spot)

The way Tom Bostic did his conversion, was that he Form-1ed it, technically making him the "manufactorer". Once the form-1 was filed and approved, he engraved his new serial onto the reciever, then removed the old one and put on the new reciever end.

After the conversion was done, you could remove it from the NFA registry by complying with the 16" barrel 26" OAL and 922r compliance.

So did you actually have the ATF state on your letter that it was okay to MOVE the serial number, or did they just say its okay to modify the reciever?

What i've been reading lately, is that the ATF used to be fine with "moving" the serial number, but recently they (as usual) reversed their decision and if the serial number was moved it would not be well with ATF.

If you got the letter from ATF stating "It is legal to change the location of the original manufactorers serial number" then this is a big change with the ATF's already inconsistant rulings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts