HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When shortening the barrel on an SL8 to G36K length do modifications need to be performed on the gas system? Or would I be better off finding a G36K barrel?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
The gas system does not have to be move if you are ok having 1/2" or so of the block sticking out of the front of the handguard.

If not, I would recommend getting a new barrel as to move the gas block, the old port hole and the retaining pin notch need to be filled... not an easy task, not even for a seasoned gunsmith.

Check over at www.hdps.org as I think Ed is one of the few that have success with gas block moving and I believe he even has U.S. made "K" length barrels available -- original "K" barrels are costly.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Actually Ed says he won't modify the gas blocks as he knows a guy who used to do it and some failed. There's more to the story, but Ed prefers that if you want a certain bbl length, your best bet is to just buy the original length you desire as the gas blocks differ from length as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
you will need to make the hole in the barrel bigger. the hole now is 1/16 i think i had to go all the way to 7/64. i went up just a bit at a time though.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
you will need to make the hole in the barrel bigger. the hole now is 1/16 i think i had to go all the way to 7/64. i went up just a bit at a time though.
Great point! Yes, if you cut the SL8 barrel down, you need to do this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A while back I purchased a G36 Clone with a shortened gas block. I was all excited to to go out and give her a good shake down. I brought the rifle to an LE range day with all of us firing our service rifles (Colt Mk 18) and the G36 clone. In all about 140/150 rounds went off without a hitch, my brethren were impressed. That evening took her apart for a good cleaning and to my horror I discovered a very badly bent piston rod. The rod was a custom made piece from an AR custom builder.
Doing a ton of measuring and re-measuring I ended up purchasing a few G36K barrel assemblies and using the rod from one of the barrels. Took it back to the range with no problems.
Just be sure whom ever is doing the job knows what they are doing, or else the results may be disastrous. Just as chopstix kid stated you are probably better off purchasing a G36K barrel.

·
Registered
229 Posts
number 3 is the one you will need to make bigger if you keep the gas block in the same Location on a stock sl8 and shorten the Barrel

i did this to mine beacuse at the time i dident live in a class 3 state and coud not afford to get a real H&K barrel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts