HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster. Harry from PA here.

I'm in the process of doing a SL8>G36 conversion project and I am at the stage where I need to transfer the ejector and extractor bits into the TN US made bolt. The ejector is a standard roll pin holding in a spring and the extractor button. Came out easy enough, was tricky to get back together in the new bolt, but I got it done. Next I moved to the extractor component and tried to approach it the same way. However, I cannot get the pin to budge. The top of the pin is not flat and is kind of at an angle on both sides. I have a punch that is the correct size, and I've definitely made good contact many times, but it simply won't budge. Is this a job only a gunsmith can do with a press, or am I missing something? This is the only aspect of the conversion that I can't seem to find any information on.

If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Well now you gotta tell me how! I can't read a story like that and not have some closure! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All it took

was to keep hammering it through with a ridiculous amount of force. I can't imagine this is the typical way to remove this pin - there must be a better way. I bent 3 different punches in trying to get it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Did you notice once it was out that the pin has a thinner section toward the middle?

IIRC, this is so that you have to compress the body of the extractor into the bolt when you drive the pin out - prevents the pin from ever working its way out under firing. The force that you applied probably forced the body of the extractor inward far enough to allow the pin to slide and once it's in motion, the rest is easy.

Glad that you got it out, however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did notice that one end had fattened up from what I assumed was just from all the pounding and subsequent compression, but maybe this is the way it is supposed to look from what you say. All in all, a ridiculously difficult task for something that is glossed over in all other conversion posts/instructions. That's why I figured I must be missing something. Well, anyway, it's done. Today, the receiver gets dyed and I'm nearly there.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top