HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question.

After a SL8 has had a Tommy built mag well conversion, could it still take SL8 mags if you switched it back to the SL8 bolt head and narrow SL8 removable magwell?

Long story short I live between a free and restricted state (AZ and CA) so I'd like to use 30rd mags in AZ and 10rd mags in CA.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Why not just block a mag to 10 rds for CA.

By the way with the new AW law you can't bring that rifle in AW form to CA anymore.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rifle is in CA and was declared with the CADOJ when I moved in 2016. There are no rules with the AW band that state I can't travel out of state with my guns. Beyond that the gun is set up "featureless".

As for blocking mags, that's an option but I would rather not if I can avoid it.

Why not just block a mag to 10 rds for CA.

By the way with the new AW law you can't bring that rifle in AW form to CA anymore.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The rifle is in CA and was declared with the CADOJ when I moved in 2016. There are no rules with the AW band that state I can't travel out of state with my guns. Beyond that the gun is set up "featureless".

As for blocking mags, that's an option but I would rather not if I can avoid it.
The most important part of that post is, "featureless".

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Never tried putting the SL8 mag well on a double slack SL8 or a G36 with the single stack mags, but it's an interesting idea.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They do make double stack 10 rounders, but they're pricey. I bought one from HKparts a long time ago.

I think the SL8 well will work if you cut off the top cover tab (assuming Bostic conversion) and put the single stack bolt head back on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Short answer is: if you can get the SL8 mag well on then you're good to go. You do not need to swap the bolt head. The mag (and spring and mag catch) are the only parts needed to make an SL8 converted to G36 spec take SL8 mags again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was under the impression the extra lug on the G36 bolt head would interfere with the thinner single stack feed lips.

Huh.. if this works, I may have to grab a cheap SL8 mag..

-Dave

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was under the impression the extra lug on the G36 bolt head would interfere with the thinner single stack feed lips.

Huh.. if this works, I may have to grab a cheap SL8 mag..

-Dave
I have a G36 bolt head on my SL8 now and it feeds fine from the SL8 single stacked mags.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts