HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want them both, but I can't have them both. :(

What are the pros and cons of each, and which do you prefer? I love the delayed roller locking system of my P9S, so that's why I'm interested in the HK93. But I've also heard great things about the short-stroke piston design used in the SL8/G36.

Which operating system is better? Which is more accurate? Is it just personal preference?

·
Registered
285 Posts
hey

I would say the SL8, less moving parts I believe. I am happy with my SL8, its also alot lighter in my opinion and more comfy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The 93 is a rock solid weapon. Reliable, durable (steel vs plastic), just as easy to accessorize and accurate with the right ammo. The G36 mods will void your HK warrenty.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
HK-93 hands down. The 93 is rugged, reliable, and accurate. It also has the wow factor as traditional HK delayed roller locked weapon.

Price shouldn't be a factor, since an SL-8 modded to look like a G-36 is going to be about the same price if not more expensive.

93 all the way for a semi-auto assault type rifle. I love mine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Only one right answer; both.

The '93 is much heavier for a .223 rifle but I've found it to be just as accurate as the target heavy barrel G36 (SL8-1). The '93 can also have Bill Springfield clean up the trigger which makes for a very comfortable and accurate trigger compared to the G36 parts. Overall balance is preferable on the G36 conversion for me, as the '93 is just overall too heavy. Magazine capacity is more flexible on the '93 also with 5/20/25/30/40/Beta capacity compared to 30/Beta on the G36 conversion.

Cost of parts is pretty much comparable between the two, and finding spares for the G36 conversion is similar to locating spare bolt carriers/heads/extractors/etc. for the '93. The G36 has a much better factory sighting system (3x Export sight) with ranging reticle compared to the '93's diopter turret. Also, the '93 .22LR conversion kit is a nice accessory and one which is not available for the G36. The G36 is much easier to clean, however and requires no special tools other than the correct hex wrench - the '93 requires chamber face brushes, fixed cleaning rods, and finger dexterity to clean it correctly.

The defining factor for me is that the '93 becomes a '33 with a sear installed, and that really puts it over the top.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
There are good persuasions for both. Consider this...

Buying an authentic 93 is exactly that, an authentic 93.

An SL8 will never be authentic G36, no matter which route you take on conversion... I've done the magwell, Tbostic Gen-3, added the stock holding lug and am looking at getting a genuine barrel... it's still a G36 clone with some required U.S. made parts.

I prized my conversion but when I got the 91, it felt different as the 91 is the real deal. Not saying I like my conversion gun any less than I did, I prize the hell out of it, but owning the 91 just feels different because it's the real deal.

You may never shoot (or you may) either one enough to really get to the point where parts replacement or claimed problems with synthetic recievers become an issue. Until you can own both, search your heart and go with the one that owning first would put a bigger smile on your face :)

If I can add this... for an SL8 conversion that looks real or doesn't look like a garage project, expect to pay $3K+ and even possibly more if you don't do it yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts