HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my new SL8-6 tomorrow and I would like to know what sort of optics mounting system will be the best. I have not yet decided if I want to use a 30mm tube or a 1", but would like some input as to whether a 50mm objective will mount up OK.

Thank you for the information

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just as a curious aside, what are you paying for your SL8? If you don't mind sharing that is.

Oh and to stay on topic, an S&B Short Dot would be my first choice! Tad pricey but hey...

Byte

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased my SL8-6 for $1549.00 plus shipping & CC 3%. This was the best deal I could find.

Thank you for the reply!

·
Registered
532 Posts
There are a few out there. If you're interested in mounting some kind of target optics (magnification beyond 4x) then you might want to look into the KAC G36 sight rails, short and long, as these will provide a stable base for any optics that you'd choose. They also offer a flip up rear sight and front sight if you ever need to disconnect the primary optics for aiming. They are pricey, however, so be prepared to pay upwards of $300USD when you can find them.

Most of us seem to have chosen the HK Factory Carry Handle optics if only to retain the G36 appearance from the outside. These factory optics have a very narrow Field of View, a small exit eye aperature, and are very specific to focal distance from the eye piece. In spite of that, I love my 3x carry handle optic if nothing more than it's ranging, it's designed specifically for the G36 use, and it completes the lightweight package with minimal 'add-ons'. Plus, that big carry handle makes it very easy to carry the rifle around.

Good luck in whatever you choose, and HEY, welcome to HKPRO!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the information and the welcome!

I guess that I should re-phrase my question. What type (and height) scope rings will fit the supplied rail on the SL-8? I would like to mount my 1" tube Weaver V16 (40mm objective) on it for now - until I can find a good deal on a Leupold MK4 6.5-20.

Thanks agian

·
Registered
35 Posts
any weaver/picatinny rings will do the job, on my sl8 will a pair of ARMS #22 medium rings clear a leupold MK4 8,5-25 LRT (50mm objective)

so that's what i recommend ;-)

then you also get 1" spacers and use them on the first scope :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
You have to watch the high magnification scopes Coyote. The critical dimension is the front bell on the scope - if it is to big you will have to go to high mounts...and that scope will already be sitting awfully high as it is.

I bought a crappy Tasco 6 X 24 to get me going but just may keep it until it craps out. It has worked fine if you don't crank it up much past 16X, it works pretty good.

Once it craps out I will spend some money and put on a Nightforce too provided it fits well. I love my SL8. It impressed me so much that I ended up buying an HK pistol too.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm on order with Zeiss, (setting up as a Zeiss dealer)

Once my secret squirrel SL8-6 device is ready, you'll be able enjoy that Zeiss even more :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great information guys. Last night, I purchased a set of Burris medium zee rings, and they will not allow the front occular bell to clear the rail on the SL8-6. I am going back to exchange them for the high zee rings today, and will let you guys know how they work out.

My scope is the Weaver V16, which is a 4-16x with a 44mm objective. It is not the best optic out there, but it will do until I find a good price on a Zeiss or Leupold MK4.

Thanks agian!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I dont suppose any of you have one of those Nikon IRT laser rangefinding scopes on your G36/Sl8 yet? I'm looking at one but I"d have to use the SL8 rail since its so big! Just looking for some input, not trying to hijack!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts