HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've just purchased a sl8-4 with a factory standard double stack magazine well, I understand that all variants for the NZ market have this feature including double lug bolt.
Can anyone tell me the difference between sl8 variants e.g. sl8-1, sl8-4, sl8-6 etc.
Is there any difference between variants regarding internal workings for rifles supplied to New Zealand.
Also because these have the double lug bolt does that mean it has the G36 carrier?
New member.
I think I posted this in wrong section to start with.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
SL8-1 is the grey model with the long top rail..SL8-4 is the black with double stack mag..SL8-6 is the black single stack mag..all have the SL8 carrier..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Nugget,

Congrats on your new rifle. Is it new or second hand? Grey, black? Do you intend to do service rifle shoots? hunt? If you need extra mags have a look at the Spearmags web site. Much cheaper than genuine HK ones. If you can get it put on "E" cat they do a very nice 30 rnd that doesn't break the bank. Also, if you want to lessen the front heavy feel, get your local gunsmith to cut the barrel back to 16 inches or so. I have done that with a couple of mine and it makes quite a difference to pointability with very little effect on MV.

Above all,have fun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Second hand and black, intend to hunt, the write ups on these indicate that they are very accurate so though it would be good for longer range targets. haven't fired this yet so hope it shoots well. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Congrats on getting the nice rifle! I love my SL8-1 to G36K conversion.

To answer one of your questions, I do not believe any SL8 is compatible with a G36 bolt carrier. A G36 bolt carrier is shaped differently and I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to modify an SL8 receiver to fit an (unless modified to SL8 specs) G36 bolt carrier because that could enable full auto operation with the right trigger group installed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats on getting the nice rifle! I love my SL8-1 to G36K conversion.

To answer one of your questions, I do not believe any SL8 is compatible with a G36 bolt carrier. A G36 bolt carrier is shaped differently and I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to modify an SL8 receiver to fit an (unless modified to SL8 specs) G36 bolt carrier because that could enable full auto operation with the right trigger group installed.
Time for you to do some research between Normal SL8's and US Market SL8's ;-)

The US is the only country that I know of that got the hobbled single stack, single lug SL8's

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

The US is the only country that I know of that got the hobbled single stack, single lug SL8's
I was talking about the bolt carriers, not the magazines or bolts. I thought you asked if the non-US SL8s use a G36 bolt carrier. I think I misunderstood your original question.

·
Registered
415 Posts
SL8-1,
US and Canada version, grey, single stack mag(US), double stack(Canada), long rail. plain foregrip no mounting points, .223 Cal.

SL8-4
Canada version, black, double stack, short rail, G36 vented foregrip, side/bottom mounting points, .223 Cal

SL8-5
Canada version, black, double stack, long rail, G36 vented foregrip, side/bottom mounting points, .223 Cal.

SL8-6
USA version, black, single stack, aluminum sort rail, G36 vented foregrip, side/bottom mounting points, .223 Cal.

SL8-10
Canada version, black, double stack, short rail, G36 vented foregrip, side/bottom mounting points, .223 Cal
European version, Black, double stack, short rail, G36 vented foregrip, side/bottom mounting points, .222 Caliber

·
Registered
415 Posts

Sweersa is correct. All SL8s use the same carrier # 217 910. The US version has a different bold head 219 562 . The rest of the world uses bolt head # 205 405 This is the same bolt head as the G36.

A G36 carrier will not fit in an SL8.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts