HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to research this but can not find an answer. I have a .40 USP fullsize stamped AF. The "HK", and other slide markings are very lightly engraved/stamped. Is this normal? If not is there a way to have them cut deeper? I have through about hard chrome on the slide, but I am afraid I'll lose the markings. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have tried to research this but can not find an answer. I have a .40 USP fullsize stamped AF. The "HK", and other slide markings are very lightly engraved/stamped. Is this normal? If not is there a way to have them cut deeper? I have through about hard chrome on the slide, but I am afraid I'll lose the markings. Any thoughts?
Are you sure it has the original finish? I have a Tac 45 with Bear Coat and the HK USP TACTICAL 45 AUTO is legible but not as deep as stock but the Serial and proof marks are almost non existant.
here http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72805

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it is the original finish. I bought it new about 9 months ago. I'll try to post pictures later.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Looks normal to me. Sometime around 2004-2005, HK began laser etching its logo on the pistol slides instead of roll marking them. With the laser etching, you get a pencil thin look to the logo with a brass/gold look to it. Roll marked logos were thicker and retained the original slide finish.

Roll marked logo. Pic borrowed from HK Panther:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ironchef. Do you have any idea if the logo will be lost if I were to have the slide refinished?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'd suggest talking with the smith you intend to have refinish it, he should be able to tell you from experience how it will look post refinish.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
After hard chrome

The serial numbers / proof marks on H&K USP's are laser engraved, so they are very shallow. After hard chrome on this USP, they look silver in color, visible under light at certain angles. Virgil Tripp did the front serrations and Cobra Chrome.

*Click thumb-nails for biggies*

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Kost.

I actually contacted Tripp's and received an email from someone there, but they could not answer my question. Looking at your pics I think my question is answered.

I won't lose the logo, but it will only be visible at angles.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Youre right - the HKjs is laser etched/engraved on your USP, like the one on my od green Tactical - it will show up, just not as well as the example USP .40, that was roll marked, those are much deeper than laser etched/engraved. Laser engraved will look that way no matter what finish you decide to go with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts