HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a lot of posts about adding little bits of various types of material behind the slide release to mitigate the slight rattle that some find to be annoying. But I was looking for something simpler.

I put the slide in takedown position and pulled out the slide release as if I were going to strip it for cleaning. Then I packed the little cavity in the right side of the slide release assembly with some slide grease from my son's trumpet supplies. But I imagine a variety of greases or gels would be fine. Maybe even peanut butter. I pushed the slide release back in to normal operation position, packed the grease in a little more, then wiped off all the visible excess.

No more rattle! Yet there is no visible change to the appearance of the gun and the movement of the slide release on both sides is not hampered in any way. Maybe this has been suggested before; if so maybe the moderator can kill this thread. But my search on the topic didn't find anything like it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
as long as the chemical composition of the grease wont harm the finish or the slide--trumpets after-all are made from brass alloy, not steel--seems like a viable and ingenious solution!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whoaahhh! Lighten up on the guy e-man930. LazarusLong may not have come up with the ideal solution, but he's proud and happy with it to the degree that he wanted to share his findings with all of us. The obvious downfall with his theory would only be if the pistol is carried concealed rather than just in a gun bag to and from the range. After 4 decades of concealed carry, I would never consider his grease solution, as with body heat the grease would certainly flow off and make a mess on your holster and/or clothing. I agree with you that some tape, or something more permanent, would be a better fix for the right side release rattle. But there's no reason to rain on the parade of a happy Hk owner that was proud of a solution that worked for him.

6-26-12

The post in question from e-man930 has been deleted as of today, I'm assuming by the moderators for his abrasive content. Because it no longer exists, my reply above to his post is no longer applicable. Just adding this note to explain my above response yesterday.

·
Registered
253 Posts
(edited to keep it professional. diesel1959)

I just prefer to either:

A: Shoot it and you will not be able to hear the ever so slight rattle.

or

B: Put it back in the holster and it can't make the ever so slight rattle.

Honestly, if one ever bothers me that much I will just take it off and throw it back in the box with the rest of the stuff it came with. I don't think I have ever used it anyway.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry, didn't mean to start a brush fire. But I can tell you that this pistol is a daily cc at 6 o'clock IWB for 12+ hours or more, and the grease stays in place. This is trumpet slide grease, made for trumpets which do warm up near to body temperature when blown through for a while, and at least the pro-grade stuff my kid uses (all state honors trumpet player, pretty serious about his music) does not drip, melt, or run at body temperature.

My point with the peanut butter, besides a bit of humor to lighten things up, was that any suitably gummy substance with the viscosity and temperature range to meet your individual needs could be similarly employed. Dirt and debris are to be expected with a daily carry gun, and faithful attention to your cleaning regimen will prevent buildup to a degree that could impair the function of this 99% useless right side slide release lever. The cavity is enclosed, so there is little chance of the grease or any other debris intruding into the functional internals; far less than what finds its way in through the openings for the hammer and the trigger. The grease is easy on, easy off, does the trick, and has no effect on the external appearance or mechanical function of any aspect of the firearm. There is zero unwanted movement of the slide lever, and you can add more or remove it all any time you like without any affect on the finish of the parts or the external appearance of the pistol.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Sounds like a good solution to me unless it is a carry piece. Nice thinking.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a carry piece. All day every day at 6 o'clock IWB. How is it not a good solution for a carry piece?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I cut a tiny piece of felt tape and put it on the inside of the lever. No more rattles. It is a carry piece and I do have a mild OCD :wink:

·
Registered
854 Posts
I am gonna go out on a limb and wager a guess that the grease in question is silicon based...and it probably has a high melting point...but when/of it does melt it will likely seep into the slide and possibly (however unlikely) gum up internals...and potentially could cause malfunction... CHAD is this where you were headed?

I can see where it could be a concern...have you done an extended carry session and fired the weapon to assert no malfunctions? Have you shot it repeatedly with a fresh application to make sure it won't liquify the substance into the firearm? Just a couple suggestions to further proof the viability of the answer--I am with you that it seems like a great cost-effective approach...just want to make sure you don't turn your awesomely reliable HK into a Kimber--especially a carry piece...

TooSixy that's an awesome fix too...and we won't hold Mild OCD against ya

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It is a carry piece. All day every day at 6 o'clock IWB. How is it not a good solution for a carry piece?
I would think that your body heat would cause the grease to run down your side/holster.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
It is a carry piece. All day every day at 6 o'clock IWB...
If your are carrying at the 6 o'clock position, that means your are carrying at the small of the back (SOB carry). What holster are you using to carry your P2000 this way?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If your are carrying at the 6 o'clock position, that means your are carrying at the small of the back (SOB carry). What holster are you using to carry your P2000 this way?
I carry my P30L with a Veridian X5L v1, IWB at 6 o'clock. Had my holster custom made by an outfit in Alabama called Skyball Mountain Holster. They sell stuff on GunBroker and Ebay but you can also contact them for custom work, like I did. I did not have to send them my gun, just a couple pictures and some measurements. Here is a picture of my pistol holstered:

I came up with the slide grease thing back in December. It has not been a problem at all with normal body temperature, and it has always received daily inspection inside and out, weekly cleaning, and firing once or twice a month at the range after being carried all day. But I have to say that today the temperature outside was pretty hot and I was out in the sun for a lot of the day, and when I came home today and pulled it out to look it over I saw a little grease ran under the slide release lever. So I opened it up and a tiny bit had also run about a centimeter towards the front of the frame from the little trench where the slide release runs through the frame from one side to the other. So I am going to go to the auto parts store and see if there is a grease available that will stand up to temperatures a little better. But the mess was a breeze to clean up and there was no evidence of the lint and crud that comes in through the back at the hammer opening making it in far enough to get caught in the grease. The little pads of stuff people are attaching look like they work fine, but I am trying for something that makes no outwardly visible impact on the pistol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts