HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, it seems this has been covered before but I can't find a straight answer just browsing around (search Fu is often weak).

Noticed a bronze/brown discoloration on my HK45C slide stop and extractor. At first it took it for rust, but a dousing and rubdown with CLP didn't seem to make a difference, which makes me suspect it's a normal thing with the steel under the worn coating (which is a little bit of a let down considering this gun is relatively new and pretty worn, luckily I dig the worn look if it's earned honestly).

This a normal thing, or rust?

Air gun Trigger Line Bumper Office equipment

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Call HK 706-568-1906 and send them that picture and I'm sure they send you a replacement for free I have seen some discoloration but nothing like that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would not be happy about that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Further research seems to indicate that it's a typical bronze/purple cast the steel takes on when the finish rubs off, at least for a number of folks on the internet.

Couple threads elsewhere even seem to call out the extractor and slide stop, specifically. I'll file it in the "probably not an issue but wipe it down daily" category my old Dan Wesson used to go in when I carried it.

I would not be happy about that.
The finish, in general, has certainly been a disappointment considering the HK reputation, my Glocks have held up much better over the years, but it's a carry gun and I'm notoriously rough on equipment (not negligent) so it's no big deal. I love how the gun carries and shoots.

I did just get a P2000 LEM that I'm excited to shoot, once I load some .40, so I'll have a second gun to compare to.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I wouldn’t be too happy about it either. I’ve got a AH (07) p2000sk that’s got that color on the extractor but it’s a solid color BNIB blotchy like your picture. But as you can read it’s an older model but functions 100%. So I wouldn’t worry about it. Just annoying. Congrats on the p2000!!! I’ve got that gun and it’s one of my all time favorites for sure a main carry gun. Fantastic weapon for all sorts of applications. If you don’t have a holster for it yet I highly recommend the G-Code Eclipse with the standard mojo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only had a handful of .40 laying around today (I haven't had one in years and my dies come Monday) but I did manage to get the P2000 out and I like it. LEM will take a bit getting used to.

It did, as a comparison, really highlight to me how much I like my HK45c.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Get a replacement slide stop from HK under your gun's warranty. And if it happens again, I wouldn't worry about it. So long as the slide stop works like it should, you're good.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I only had a handful of .40 laying around today (I haven't had one in years and my dies come Monday) but I did manage to get the P2000 out and I like it. LEM will take a bit getting used to.

It did, as a comparison, really highlight to me how much I like my HK45c.
LEM is my favorite trigger for carry purposes but I will always keep my USP45F and my HK45CT with DA/SA triggers. That being said, keep practicing, you will appreciate it the more you shoot it!

·
Banned
81 Posts
issue with the surface making the finish wear off prematurely. Common complaint over the years. You can Cerakote it if the discoloration bothers you, but functionally it's something I would have zero worry over.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
issue with the surface making the finish wear off prematurely. Common complaint over the years. You can Cerakote it if the discoloration bothers you, but functionally it's something I would have zero worry over.
That's my thinking too. Shot it today so I was cleaning and looked at it close under good light and the brownish is uniform everywhere the finish is worn, so it must just be the color of the steel underneath.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
It’s a pretty common issue, and you’ll find the extractors doing the same. The truth is that HK’s finish on barrels and slides isn’t very durable, cosmetically- but it performs exceptionally well for its anti-corrosion properties.

If you want to have a pristine HK pistol you simply can’t carry it or shoot it much. This is the sole area in which SIG Nitron finishes, and older Glock Melonite finishes, are objectively better- maintaining cosmetics.

I like the look of a well-worn, used-but-not-abused HK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool, that's what I thought, no problem then.

If you want to have a pristine HK pistol you simply can’t carry it or shoot it much. This is the sole area in which SIG Nitron finishes, and older Glock Melonite finishes, are objectively better- maintaining cosmetics.

I like the look of a well-worn, used-but-not-abused HK.
I don't mind the worn look, was a little surprised, but it's a carry gun, it's gonna get scratched and worn.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
It's hardened steel. Same with extractors. This is why the black oxide finish seems to build up on the surface rather than penetrate the steel, and it wears off somewhat easily as a result. Harsher ammonia-based solvents like Hoppes #9 accelerate the process. Annoying to look at, but with H&K, it's always function over appearance. I've never seen a bent or broken USP slide stop or extractor. The Glock slide stop, while, granted, is not meant to be used as a slide release like the USP's is, is made of metal that literally bends and has been known to break every now and then. But it doesn't turn orange. Pick your poison.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts