HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in California, and want a 94 but they are a no go here...I know there are clones but I would prefer real Hk... so, my idea was having an sp89 or sp5k built into a 94...I know to the purists it's still a clone, but it would be real Hk. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not quite... I want to be able to have detachable magazines, which that being a pistol could not have here, So I need to do like a carbine build and then cover the pistol grip. No laughing (or at least not too much of it) but this is how it has to be if I wanna drop my mags.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
This makes me happy, and sad.

Happy, that folks in restricted states are willing to go the extra mile to remain legal, and still get their toys.

Sad, because -- as a recent refugee from New York to Missouri; I can tell you: Save your money and put it towards moving to a free state. When I think of all the bread I dumped into pre-ban this or that, and stupid mods to be NY compliant -- only to have them change the law further and make all of that irrelevant overnight, it pisses me off. If I'd had used that money to escape the commies earlier, rather than tacitly accepting their agenda, I'd have been better off financially -- AND enjoyed my hobby a whole lot more. I anger myself when I think how I valued a few toys more than liberty. Got what I deserved, really; thats what angers me about it. I'm not the type of person to get angry with idiots, so I don't hold it against the gun-control fools. But I expect myself to know better.

Obviously, each situation is unique, and there are other factors that come into play. But consider the amount of money you'll sink into the gun. Now imagine the laws changing overnight, and CA telling you that you have to get rid of your stuff. Whose going to want a weirdo chopped up / neutered CA-compliant weapon? Can't even have them in NY anymore!

As someone that got royally screwed by a rapid law change in the face of one of these damn massacres (lets stop calling them shootings; shooting is what we all do for fun. These psychos are active murderers, not active shooters), just take it from experience.

Put the money into a long-term CD; lock it up, add to is as you can, and get to a free state. At some point you'll have a big 'ole pile of money and you can just have well, whatever you like.. Here in Missouri, you can have your Sp5k without even needing to have a pistol permit. Just pass your background check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sickness I couldn't agree with you more...I'm on like a 5 year exit strategy at the moment. But until then I gotta shoot and plus once you start collecting guns you cant quit. As long as the laws dont get too restrictive most of my unique items command a premium here (most would recoup cost plus enough to get something comparable in the free states) so i plan to sell them before the move, and then rebuild collection. If it gets like NY here and I cant sell them the plus is I collect stuff I like and would just take them with me and enjoy the hell out of them.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Sickness I couldn't agree with you more...I'm on like a 5 year exit strategy at the moment. But until then I gotta shoot and plus once you start collecting guns you cant quit. As long as the laws dont get too restrictive most of my unique items command a premium here (most would recoup cost plus enough to get something comparable in the free states) so i plan to sell them before the move, and then rebuild collection. If it gets like NY here and I cant sell them the plus is I collect stuff I like and would just take them with me and enjoy the hell out of them.
Hey, look I'm not telling you not to shoot, or get into a 9mm carbine. I'm saying that, financially and functionally speaking, it doesn't make much sense to do it with an sp5k. There are better choices for the money, where you can have something that functions and looks JUST like a real 94. To try to do that with an Sp5k is probably going to cost you upwards of $4000. I'd bet somewhere are $4500. Sp5k will need to be rebarreled -- and not just rebarreled, I think it will need a new cocking tube as well; and then the receiver modified at the rear. And if I'm not mistaken, you'll need a new pistol grip / trigger housing as well. And after all that it probably will need to get refinished. So lets say you can do it for $4500. You could save that money, and put it away for an Sp5k in a free state, along with - say, a real-deal HK91 to go with it.

And how well would it run after all that surgery? Who knows. Certainly there are talented folks here that could do it. But why?

Have a look at the Zenith Z-5 rifle. It's like an HK94. Far cheaper to convert that to CA legal. In fact, you could probably get the rifle, and convert it, for less than a new Sp5k. Or close, at least.

I know, I know you want "real HK" -- I get it. But Zenith makes good stuff. And lets face it -- you're NOT going to want a big honking barrel on a 9mm HK. So, you're going to pay to convert it to a carbine -- and then you'll end up either buying ANOTHER Sp5k to keep short -- or you'll pay to have it rebarreled AGAIN to a 3-lug barrel.

Hell, for the money you'd be into for starting with a $2500 Sp5k -- you'd likely be better off contacting one of the boutique builders here and having them make you the weapon to your specs. It'll be better than an HK, and probably still end up costing you less than the frankengun route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts