HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few people modify the slide release levers on their P30's and I'm curious about the best way to go about this, so that I can avoid buying P2000 levers.

I basically just want to slim them down, and remove the first two "steps" on each lever. Does anyone have a recommendation on what tool would work best for this project? Seems like I need a flat belt-sander of some kind that would file down metal...but I'm kind of a dope when it comes to tools, so I don't really know what's out there. Does dremel make a bit that would work?

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Interesting. If you Dremel, document with pictures. If p2000 levers fit I'd just buy them.... Don't like them? Can always put p30 levers back on.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Most people I have heard of doing this have done it with a dremel and patience (don't know what bit). I imagine you could do it with a belt sander but you would have to go SLOOOOOOW to avoid not taking off too much. I personally would think a dremel and a bench vice would be the easiest for precision work. After you have removed as much metal as you see fit, hit it with some blueing in a bottle and you are good to go.

·
Registered
818 Posts
To do it right, you'll need a Bridgeport mill. No mill available? Have a gunsmith mill them for you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not sure where you are located but I have access to a mill. If you are in Indiana let me know.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys! Looks like a friend of mine might be able to help me out with a mill as he works at a manufacturing facility. If that falls through, I think I might just try out the dremel route and come up with some kinda trick to keep the bit flat and level.

I'll snap some picks when I get to it.

-Mike

·
Registered
359 Posts
I used a dremel. Any stone that will abrade metal will work. Then polish with smoother polishers. I pulled the slide release off the gun to avoid marring the frame.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I used a dremel. Any stone that will abrade metal will work. Then polish with smoother polishers. I pulled the slide release off the gun to avoid marring the frame.

That looks sweet. I sent HK a question about getting a smaller slide release for the P30L. I'm pretty sure I can find them online but figured I'd see if they would respond. Believe it or not I got a response within 24 hours. Here is what they sent me:

"A short slide release lever comes on P30's with safety levers; however, we do not have additional stock of that item for sale at this time."

Sure wish I was good with a Dremel. I'd mess that lever up so bad it would be unrecognizable

·
Registered
359 Posts
As you can see in my photo, I do have the safety and short slide release on my P30LS. My thumb would still engage it, so I shortened it more and thinned it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Nice Dremel job!! Ever thought about a career as a gunsmith? You won't get rich but you'll never be out of a job. We just hired 3 at our shop.

I would just go to the exploded drawing of the correct P30 & place an order with HK parts. You may not get the part for a while, but they will eventually get it. They can order every part in the gun.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Great job! Looks fantastic bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts