HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Merchant of Death (Admin)
12,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great article in the May, 2011 edition of Small Arms Review. Soup to nuts on building a weapon from an LSC flat and MP5 parts kit. Well documented and illustrated. Must read for anyone considering such a project.

· Registered
3,193 Posts
Is it out already straightgrain? I bought the last two and haven't seen it yet. The one I just bought has a review of a gemtech suppressor.

· Registered
10,032 Posts
Yep, it's out already. Mine came Monday, the 29th.

· Registered
3,193 Posts
Books a million sells them too. What's on the cover?

· Registered
10,032 Posts
The Lage Mac-11/9 22 conversion layin' out on a table load of 22s.

· Registered
3,193 Posts
Thanks shattered. I haven't seen that one yet. I might head to my local BAM to see if they have it in yet.

· Registered
3,193 Posts
Just bought mine tonight! If I wasn't sitting on the Pro, I'd be reading it right now. Guess I'll get off in a minute.

· Registered
3,341 Posts
I don't know this for a fact but buying SAR from a retail book store might take a week or two. The article is in the May issue and it isn't even April yet. I have a subscription and haven't gotten my copy yet. I just bought a Square Wave TIG 175 last weekend. I've got ten parts kits and a bunch of receivers with 12 more receivers on the way. I haven't TIG welded in years so I need to start practicing. Hopefully anything I mess up Jeff can fix. I'm really looking forward to reading the article.

Scott

· Registered
3,341 Posts
I've been meaning to get them done. I bought the first kit 2 1/2 years ago. I've been meaning to drop a line to Jeff. Then I got, what I thought was a decent deal on the TIG welder. I've wanted to try building one. With ten kits a bunch of receivers and a new TIG welder, I should.

Scott

· Registered
10,032 Posts
I I haven't TIG welded in years so I need to start practicing.
Scott
Yep, go to the local Home Depot and grab up some thin gage sheet metal, cut it up into small pieces and start welding up a whatchamacallit to hang from the ceiling rafters as practice. I wouldn't go near a receiver until I was happy with the welds on the whatchamacallit.

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Very good advice "Shattered". I'm starting my practice with flat pieces. When I like how the welds come out, I plan to start on round stuff for out of position work. Once I feel 100% that my skills are back, since it has been years since I TIG welded, then I can start on the low dollar parts kits, and work my way up in value. My last kit will most likely be the low miles HK 53.

My copy of SAR came in yesterday. The build article was good for a magazine article. To me there is a real "catch 22" with rolling your own receiver. At $200 for the flat plus weld up kit, plus whatever the cost of the flat bending jigs would be, comes to a fair amount of money for a clone receiver. I understand the boys at LSC make a high quality flat. But unless you have the specialty tools and a space to use them, that is quite a bit to spend on a clone roller locked receiver.

I went, what I feel is the easier route. I bought five SW94 receivers for $625 plus shipping. I paid another $25 each to transfer them to me. They are a commercial receiver. I can sell the gun I make with one of these receivers, anytime I want to. Since I'm not a manufacturer, a receiver that I built could be more problematic. I understand that a Title I gun simply has to have a unique serial #. But if I tire of it, it seems to me, disposing it will be much more problematic than a commercially built receiver.

It is possible to have a flat built by a builder. I remember seeing a LSC flat that was built by IGF for sale here. As I recall the seller wanted $475, which is what he said he had in it. Again, I understand that the LSC flat is very high quality. I'm sure an individual builder would put more time and quality into a one off build. But when I can buy a complete commercial receiver for $150 including transfer, it is hard for me to justify paying 25% more for just the flat and weld up kit. Then I either need to pay someone to put it together or I have to buy a flat bending jig and a set of hand stamps or pay an engraver to at least put a serial # on the flat.

Again, I understand that there is certainly a "coolness factor" of building the receiver yourself. For me personally, I can't justify spending more than double in the cost of the SW receiver on the flat, weld up kit, flat bending jig, and some way of marking the receiver. Would the receiver made from the LSC flat be of a higher quality? I'd certainly think so. Would the receiver made from the LSC flat be twice as good as the SW receiver? That I don't think so. That is just my opinion. YMMV.

Scott

· Registered
3,193 Posts
Scott, I'm with you on the flat thing. I'm contemplating throwing my hat in the basket and trying to build my own as well. But I think I'll start with an already bent and welded receiver. Then that cuts the welding down to a minimum. Just the cocking tube, trunion and paddle mag release if you go that way. Much simpler. Most of the flat bending jigs I've seen have been going for between 275 and 300 dollars. Plus flat and weldment kit and you easily have 500 bucks in just the receiver and then take the chance of messing it up.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.