HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like so many others here, I think I've contracted the disease... I need another HK...

Think I am going to sell my Belgium made nickel plated Browning HiPower and use the cash for a new HK to feed my addiction. I already have a full size USP 45 Stainless and absolutely love it, but now I am interested in something more compact and I am open to other calibers too. Though I know the gun is awesome on all accounts, I am not interested in a P7. That said, what are the smallest models offered for .45, .40 & 9mm?

Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to head to my local store and check these out. Have a good one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sad to hear you selling that beautiful Hi-Power. It will be difficult to replace. I'd suggest keeping it. P2000SKs practically grow on trees.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sad to hear you selling that beautiful Hi-Power. It will be difficult to replace. I'd suggest keeping it. P2000SKs practically grow on trees.
My thoughts as well. My bro just got a Hi-power...for a whopping 400 dollars brand new, never fired, safe queen. It has the shortest trigger pull length of any stock hand gun I've ever fired. It has 1/4 inch of overall trigger pull length and 1/8 of that is the take up, with the other 1/8 being when the hammer drops. Zero overtravel too. It shoots so softly, softer than this 2.8 pound Jericho 941 I had, and it weighs about half a pound less.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My thoughts as well. My bro just got a Hi-power...for a whopping 400 dollars brand new, never fired, safe queen. It has the shortest trigger pull length of any stock hand gun I've ever fired. It has 1/4 inch of overall trigger pull length and 1/8 of that is the take up, with the other 1/8 being when the hammer drops. Zero overtravel too. It shoots so softly, softer than this 2.8 pound Jericho 941 I had, and it weighs about half a pound less.
If you like that... try a tuned 1911. I have not found a better trigger.

Oh and I favor UPSc 9mm myself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, thanks for the input folks. I have been struggling with whether or not to sell the HiPower for several years now, for the reasons you stated, but I haven't shot mine in over 5 years and they're selling (used Belgium made) for crazy amounts of money in Texas right now. Also, when I decided to get it nickeled about 15 years ago, I didn't realize I was making it look like some kind of gangsta gun :) Love the gun, but it isn't as reliable as an HK, and I am looking for another HK for carry, just one that is smaller than the one I am carrying now (USP45 fs) for IWB carry during the summer months - last year, it was a rare summer day when the temperature was under 100 degrees. That said, I went to a huge gun store yesterday to follow up on the initial advice of everyone and checked out each HK they had, HK45, P2000 in .40 and 9mm and the compatc USP's. None seemed that much smaller than my USP... smaller, yes, but not much.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope. They didn't have one, but I will try to find one. Thanks. In retrospect, that P2000 9mm was pretty small... just don't know anything about that model yet.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Well, a compact vs full size for carry purposes won't be significantly different in size. Look at any other manufacturer; the Sig P229 vs the P226 come to mind. You'd need to get into subcompact territory like the P2000SK to notice a difference.

Where in Texas are you located? I'm in Dallas as of this weekend and I shoot fairly frequently these days. Unfortunately, the only HK I have right now is a UMP conversion.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am in Houston/Cypress. I do keep a Kahr PM9 (9mm - 6+1) in my pocket when I'm not able to carry my USP - or sometimes even when I do carry my USP. Great little backup. I am assuming the P2000SK you mentioned is in fact a sub-compact? Cool. I'll check that out next, but I don't think I've ran across one in a store yet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you like that... try a tuned 1911. I have not found a better trigger.

Oh and I favor UPSc 9mm myself.
Tried one before, a 3.5grand Wilson Combat CQB elite with a 2.5 pound trigger pull. Yea the pull was lighter, but it was no where near the 1/8 inch trigger pull of the Hi-power. I'm not saying it's bad, it felt better than the Hi-power (Hi-power trigger pull is like 7 pounds?), but in terms of how short the actual pull was after take up, I have found nothing that is as short as the Hi-power (and this was without any trigger work on it).

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The P9S is a pretty big gun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am sure that's another great HK, however, I am looking for something a bit more modern; hopefully with higher capacity (double-stacked magazine).

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Compared to what?
The OP's question revolved around smaller HK's available, particularly against his USP. The P9 is on no way a small gun. It's nowhere near the size of a P2000sk, and is bigger than a P2000 as well. It's a full size gun.

Here is a video of someone handling a P9S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsHqaU50LIo

It is NOT a small pistol in relation to his USP.

P9S Dimensions:
Length: 7.5"
Height: 5.39"
Width: 1.33"
Barrel: 4.01"
Site Radius: 5.78"
Weight: 1.94 lbs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts