HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took the plunge and bought an HK91 at a gun show recently. This is also my 1st post on HKPRO.

It's a SACO import with HH date code. I checked bolt gap and found it to be .015". Looks to be in excellent condition with no pitting on bolt face and clean shiney bore. Finish is very good with only claw marks being the distraction. Stocks are also very good showing very little signs of use.

Paid $2200. Came with ARMS claw mount, brass deflector & three mags (two alloy & one steel)

What next besides go out and shoot it? (I'm waiting on an ammo order to arrive so I can do that!)

My questions:
1. I see lots of IB date codes. Are some date codes more significant than others? Is my HH anything good or bad?
Why are date codes so often mentioned in discussion of this model?
2. I'm very familar with AR rifles. Do I need to stock any replacement parts that are normal wear items for the 91?

Any other comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Kurzhaar

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
wouldnt HH be a 77?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Or the classic "It never happened with out pictures".

Welcome on board and if you are a shooter may wish to have a trigger job done, a bipod and possible one of the X4 German surplus scopes. Also mags are cheep now (few dollars each). Would also pick up two spare extractor springs. For general low budget ok ammo the Federal Red Box American Eagle use to be reasonably accurate, but things change.

One think to learn is how to get your bolt group apart and back together, for cleaning. I would consider getting an HK chamber face brush for cleaning, from either E&L Manufacturing or one of the HK Parts Suppliers (Gun Parts - RTG International Surplus Gun Parts and Militaria or HKParts | Heckler & Koch Genuine Parts - HKPARTS.NET).

When adjusting sights a 5" hemostat works, for me, as good or better than the HK sight tool (which I also have but use less).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congratulations on a great rifle, there is nothing like the real thing. There are so many options for a 91, let the fun begin.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Very nice buy! Yours looks very clean, more so than most I see these days, particularly at that price point. Enjoy her and welcome!

·
Registered
219 Posts
suggestion

I don't know what type of shooting you plan to do with it, but I would suggest keeping you eye out for a heavy buffer. If you plan to shoot a lot it will definitely save your shoulder.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Rifle is a beaut and looks like a great deal with what came with it.

I would suggest not taking the case deflector off without finding if there is a way to do it without scratching the finish.
I stratched/gouged mine pretty good getting one off.

congratulations; have fun with it

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Rifle is a beaut and looks like a great deal with what came with it.

I would suggest not taking the case deflector off without finding if there is a way to do it without scratching the finish.
I stratched/gouged mine pretty good getting one off.

congratulations; have fun with it
To remove/install without scratches it simply takes a little luck, a lot of gun oil and an old credit card.

OP nice rifle man!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Spare parts as suggested are inbound. It sure is a blast to shoot. Thanks for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts