HKPRO Forums banner

So is the HK45 coming to CA?

6K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Litigator123 
#1 ·
Just curious because well Im in california...

:)

#3 ·
No one knows for sure.
Just going to have to wait until they finally release it.

If it is not approved for sale in CA, you can try and do what people are doing right now to get the non-CA approved Glock Model 21SF. Have your friendly LEO buy one, then PPT to you.

#6 ·
You folks need to stop putting communist gun grabbers in office and maybe the Golden State might lose its tarnish. Things have been pathetic in Cali for years and it just seems to get worse as time goes on. Their crazy gun policies are the biggest reason I'll never move back. You'll be lucky if the HK45 gets approved.

#8 ·
Bravo. Politically incorrect rant on....
Most people outside California don't care what happens there.
Years ago they thought they were setting trends with their gun restrictions, because guns shoot people. People good...guns bad. Drilling for oil bad...Hummer Limos Good.

Time has passed them by, and they are so far from mainstream America the damage is not reversible. Must be the something in the water. Silicon or something.

Frankly, I'm tired tired of seeing questions about CA or MA "approval".

Rant off, don't take it too seriously...back to your regularly scheduled program.... the "OC" I think?

#10 ·
How to get your HK45

OK - having personally read all the relevent statutes, here is it.

It is NOT illegal to own or possess a pistol not on the CA approved list. You simply cannot "import it for sale". Two legal ways exist. 1. Of course get a LEO to buy one and then have them conduct a private party transfer to you. (Private transfers are explicitly exempted from the rule 2. Personally buy the gun in another state (assuming you qualify for residency there etc ) then bring it in for personal use. You will have to fill out a "new resident handgun report". Again the fact that your gun is not on the list is immaterial. You are not importing it for sale. However, what remains to be seen in the second instance is what the criteria are for being a"new resident". No details provided in the statute. The form simply asks for your CA address, CA drivers lic. or utility bill etc. and when and where you got the gun and the make model SN etc.

I will be curious if anyone goes this route. Feel free to check in.

David

#13 · (Edited)
OK - having personally read all the relevent statutes, here is it.

It is NOT illegal to own or possess a pistol not on the CA approved list. You simply cannot "import it for sale". Two legal ways exist. 1. Of course get a LEO to buy one and then have them conduct a private party transfer to you. (Private transfers are explicitly exempted from the rule 2. Personally buy the gun in another state (assuming you qualify for residency there etc ) then bring it in for personal use. You will have to fill out a "new resident handgun report". Again the fact that your gun is not on the list is immaterial. You are not importing it for sale. However, what remains to be seen in the second instance is what the criteria are for being a"new resident". No details provided in the statute. The form simply asks for your CA address, CA drivers lic. or utility bill etc. and when and where you got the gun and the make model SN etc.

I will be curious if anyone goes this route. Feel free to check in.

David
So my best friend is a California Correction Officer. Does that qualify as a LEO? So I could do number 1? Also, I live in California and with my girlfriend in Texas. So I could buy it here...and...then what. When I go home...take it home?

Or could my GF buy it in Texas. When she moves to CA register it. Then PPT to me? Would that work?

So in summary, if I do #1 or #2, I could own the HK without a magzine disconnect and it not being on the approved list?

#11 ·
Simply not true - the rule regarding non-approved handguns applies only to importation FOR SALE. As asked in one of the posts, as long as the gun is otherwise legal to own (i.e. not an AW etc) you can bring it in for personal use and even later conduct a personal transfer. As long as it's not brought in for sale in the first place.

#12 ·
HK45 in CA? -HK rep allegedly says "no"

I also belong to Calguns.net. Therein a member posted and indicated that he had spoken with "Jeff Swisher" (spelling unknown) from HK and that the HK rep indicated that the HK45 is NOT going to be submitted for California testing b/c it lacks one of the crazy CA requirements.

Just repeating a post - no authenticating it.

David

#16 ·
You can check it in with your luggage on an airplane with you (not carry on), drive it home, send it UPS... whatever u want.

I do not know what the rules are on Tx state IDs or their req for gun purchases... When I lived their 6yrs ago I had a Texas DL just bought my gun with that... unknown about IDs.

#26 ·
HK45 in CA

Ninjamaster - personal importation of a pistol in CA is only meant to deal with the strictly CA rule relating to pistols which may not be on the "approved list". The "approved list set out those guns which may be commercially brought into the state for sale. The personal importer rules of which we speak are for the out of state person with a pistol legally purchased elsewhere who wants to move into CA and bring his otherwise legal pistol with him. It does not allow for AW's, SBR's or anything else other than otherwise legal pistols. The HK 45 is only illegal to import b/c it lacks the mag release lock and other stupid stuff CA recently required.

We are just trying to get the same pistol the rest of the world gets to enjoy

David

#29 ·
Scooter,
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf
From the 2006 California Firearms Law Summery Booklet, page 42-43.
Be sure to read the "Note:" at the end.

Sales, Loans, or Transfers of Firearms
Exceptions

1) The dealer licensing and reporting requirements do not apply to the sale, lease, ortransfer of any firearm in the following instances (Penal Code § 12078(u)):
• Firearms obtained by individuals through operation of law, such as:
- the executor or administrator of an estate;
- a trustee in a bankruptcy proceeding;
- an assignee for creditors;
- a receiver for an estate in receivership;
- a surviving spouse;
- a transfer of property between spouses.
NOTE: Concealable firearms obtained by any of the preceding means must be reported tothe Department of Justice on forms provided by the Department of Justice. (Penal Code § 12078(i)(1).)
- a levying officer as defined in sections 481.140, 511.060, or 680.260 of the
Code of Civil Procedure;
- firearms received by the family of a police officer or deputy sheriff from a
local agency pursuant to section 50081 of the Government Code;
- the transfer of a firearm by a law enforcement agency to the person who found the firearm where the delivery is to the finder pursuant to Article 1
(commencing with section 2080) of Chapter 4 of Division 3 of the Civil Code;
• Firearms obtained through intestate succession or by bequest, sales or transfers between “immediate family” members. Immediate family means parent and child, and grandparent and grandchild. (NOTE: Individuals who receive a concealable firearm in this manner must obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate. The acquisition of a handgun in this manner must be reported within 30 days to the Department of Justice on forms provided by the Department of Justice.) (Penal Code §§ 12078(i)(1)(B), 12078(c)(2)(A).)
NOTE: The infrequent sale, lease, or transfer of firearms between individuals - meaning five or fewer sales per year of any number of handguns or irregular and occasional sales of other firearms is allowed. However, such sales/transfers must be completed through a dealer licensed pursuant to Penal Code section 12071.

I read that as private party transfers = five or fewer.

#31 ·
Personal pistol import

Scooter - I wasn't suggesting you hop across the border and buy one (to begin with, you have to qualify as a "resident" in that other state. What I said was that if a resident in another state were moving to CA and did purchase a non-approved gun in that other sate, they could bring it in with them if they're were moving here. They then could file the new resident forms with the DOJ. Thereafter, they could legally transfer it to you. PPT's are exempt from the "unsafe" gun import law because a great many guns already here "fall off" the list for any number of reasons, but if you already have it here, you can transfer it freely.

Crazy laws for an equally crazy state.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.