HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I find myself a bit perplexed. I am hardly a newbie to guns or pistols (have many; shot for many years) but never had an HK. I finally broke down and got the wife a P30L 9mm after she picked one up and cleared a string of steel at a fundraiser. It was her first time with an HK. She loved it and said, "get me one. Now."

She wanted an external safety. I looked up the HK site and found this:

Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 9.42.30 AM.jpg

Seems the description I wanted was:

M730901L-A5…P30LS 9 mm, Long Slide (V3) DA/SA, with safety and ambidextrous decocking button, with two 15 round magazines…$1,108.00

So off I go to the shops and find one online. Get it last week and, well...no safety or decocking button. It's an SA/DA and the SA trigger is light. She needs a safety.

20131005_095254.jpg

The HK case clearly has the right model number on it, and the serial matches the sticker. Before running off and crying oops, I'd like an opinion from you experts. Did I miss something or mess up my expectations when I ordered that model?

Thank you in advance. We like the pistol and the quality is tops. She just needs and external safety with this thing.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
You might have a light LEM model. After you rack the slide, is the pull on the trigger fairly long before it hits the break point?

·
Vendor
786 Posts
That # is for the long slide, light LEM-NO safety. Your photo clearly shows that is the LEM model.

I've been informed that the light LEM with safety is no longer available.

For the long slide, DA/SA with decock button and ambidextrous safety, you would need #M730903LS-A5

Mike

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
You can order the safety control lever from HK and either install it yourself of have it installed.
Negative.

The P series is not nearly as modular as the USP when it comes to the trigger mechanism. P30 conversions from LEM to DA/SA are not possible, partially due to the frames being somewhat different. I do not believe you can add a safety to non-"s" model, or remove a safety from a "s" model.

This is another reason that I personally prefer the USP to the P-series.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,326 Posts
Negative.

The P series is not nearly as modular as the USP when it comes to the trigger mechanism. P30 conversions from LEM to DA/SA are not possible, partially due to the frames being somewhat different. I do not believe you can add a safety to non-"s" model, or remove a safety from a "s" model.

This is another reason that I personally prefer the USP to the P-series.
Incorrect. Safety levers are available for all three variants of the P30.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,326 Posts
Hmmm, all threads appear to state that safety lever cannot be added to non-P30S variants.
First of all, just because you read a thread does not mean it is not true. Take what you want. I've always said that if you don't believe something on here to be true, then just pick up the phone and call HK.
Second, recent military and police projects have had safety levers as a required option in the statement of work. HK adheres to this so that they can compete for these projects.
Third, I just returned from another HK Armorer Course yesterday and this very issue was discussed.
Fourth, all you have to do is read the current HK Product Catolog to see that it clearly states that safety levers are an available option on all three variants of the P30. There is a nice chart at the bottom of page 3 that shows that exact information.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
First of all, just because you read a thread does not mean it is not true. Take what you want. I've always said that if you don't believe something on here to be true, then just pick up the phone and call HK.
Second, recent military and police projects have had safety levers as a required option in the statement of work. HK adheres to this so that they can compete for these projects.
Third, I just returned from another HK Armorer Course yesterday and this very issue was discussed.
Fourth, all you have to do is read the current HK Product Catolog to see that it clearly states that safety levers are an available option on all three variants of the P30. There is a nice chart at the bottom of page 3 that shows that exact information.
Yes, they are options, but they come from HK, built to that specification. They are not user configurable, ala USP series. The HK45 series actually shares many components with the USP, but the P30 is different. I have seen many threads here where people bought one model of P30 thinking they would convert it to a different operation or add/remove a safety, and when they called HK-USA, they were told conversions are not supported due to frame incompatibility (both for LEM vs DA/SA and safety vs no safety).

This does not appear to be the case with the HK45 series.

I will call HK-USA Customer service on Monday if I have time to confirm myself. If I am wrong, I will eat my words and post the results of the conversation as to what can be converted and what can't.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I thought it was possible to go sa/da to lem. But not lem to sa/da, cuz part of the frame had to be cut out. But I don't recall if this was for the P30 or P2K or even HK45/C?

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
P30 and P30S have different frames... even if you could add a safety, wouldn't the slide release interfere (too long?) P30S has the shorter release, and associated notch in frame?

·
Registered
43 Posts
That is for sure NOT a v3 as there is no safety, nor a space in the frame for a decocker. It looks just like my v1 LEM.

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
You can order the safety control lever from HK and either install it yourself of have it installed.
You can't. The frames are different. On a P30S or P30LS, there is a recess on both sides of the frame to fit the ambi safety levers. In addition, there is a small hole on the left side of the same that holds the detent pin that locks the safety lever in place. Even if you were to buy the ambi safety levers and put them on the P30/P30L frame, they won't fit.

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
I will call HK-USA Customer service on Monday if I have time to confirm myself. If I am wrong, I will eat my words and post the results of the conversation as to what can be converted and what can't.
You don't need to call HKCS. I can confirm that it is IMPOSSIBLE to convert a P30 or P30L to the "S" version just by adding the ambi safety levers.

I didn't just read a thread to say it is impossible to do so, I personally took the P30 and P30S apart to verify that it is impossible to do so.

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
OK, I find myself a bit perplexed. I am hardly a newbie to guns or pistols (have many; shot for many years) but never had an HK. I finally broke down and got the wife a P30L 9mm after she picked one up and cleared a string of steel at a fundraiser. It was her first time with an HK. She loved it and said, "get me one. Now."

She wanted an external safety. I looked up the HK site and found this:

View attachment 15927

Seems the description I wanted was:

M730901L-A5…P30LS 9 mm, Long Slide (V3) DA/SA, with safety and ambidextrous decocking button, with two 15 round magazines…$1,108.00

So off I go to the shops and find one online. Get it last week and, well...no safety or decocking button. It's an SA/DA and the SA trigger is light. She needs a safety.

View attachment 15928

The HK case clearly has the right model number on it, and the serial matches the sticker. Before running off and crying oops, I'd like an opinion from you experts. Did I miss something or mess up my expectations when I ordered that model?

Thank you in advance. We like the pistol and the quality is tops. She just needs and external safety with this thing.
Here's where the confusion started. Prior to summer of 2012, part number M730901L-A5 indicated a P30LS V3 9mm. Then HK changed their part number so that a M730901L-A5 became a P30L V1 LEM (no safety) and introduced a new part number M730903LS-A5, which is a P30LS V3 9mm. Between then and now, apparently HK went back and changed the part number again so a M730901L-A5 is now a P30L 9mm V3 (no safety).

There seems to be a typo on HK-USA website with regards to the P30LS and P30L, both V3, models (see screenshot below). The M730903LS-A5 should have been a P30LS 9mm V3 (DA/SA), with safety, and M730901L-A5 is a P30L 9mm V3 (DA/SA), with no safety.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What about converting a V3 to a V1? If I send it it HK-USA to have it'd converted to a light LEM, is it possible then? Thanks, my LGS has a P30L V3 in stock.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts