HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a P7. I went into the LGS today to pick up a brand new 8" Colt Anaconda that was on hold for me, but when I walked in and saw the box for the P7 sitting there, I knew I needed to have it instead.

This example is shooter grade, and came from a good home (I know who the previous owner was, he takes good care of his firearms). It's been carried, and the finish is worn, but otherwise seems to be in good shape. Came with the original matching box, 2 magazines, a cleaning brush, but no gas port cleanung tool (already ordered one from HK parts), and an IWB kydex holster.

So a couple questions being new to the P7 pistols:

- How can I determine a year of manufacture on one of these? I don't see any proof date stamps anywhere, maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

- Is there anything special I should know? Any parts that I should be looking at replacing in short order, i.e. parts like the recoil buffer on the P9S? Springs?

- Lastly, based on what Gunbroker pricing seems to be, I kinda feel like I got this pistol for a more than reasonable price, but then again, idk. What's the true market value on a pistol like this in similar condition?

Photos below, last one shows her along with my Walther P5 and West German P226. Thanks for any and all info!

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
So does that mean there’s an Anaconda available at a gun store in Maine?? My Police Chief (NH) has been dying for one!! 😄

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congratulations on Your Awesome Score!

Reactions: Mainegrw

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So does that mean there’s an Anaconda available at a gun store in Maine?? My Police Chief (NH) has been dying for one!!
Sorry, but the waiting list is pretty long, was actually surprised when they called me on Thursday to tell me it was in the shop... I also believe they sold it to the next guy down the list while I was standing there filling out paperwork on the P7. I'm also located in CT, not Maine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry, but the waiting list is pretty long, was actually surprised when they called me on Thursday to tell me it was in the shop... I also believe they sold it to the next guy down the list while I was standing there filling out paperwork on the P7. I'm also located in CT, not Maine.

Oh, well...he’ll have to wait! 😉 (And your screen name led me to make the assumption.)

Congrats on your score. Hans Gruber approves!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I wouldn't mind one of the new Anacondas to go with my Kodiak.

What was the Kodiak actually going for since I haven't seen prices on them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't mind one of the new Anacondas to go with my Kodiak.

What was the Kodiak actually going for since I haven't seen prices on them.
I assume you mean the Anaconda, which is retailing at my LGS for $1650 currently. I'll be able to get another one, no problem, so P7 was a more obvious choice today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice! Gorgeous P226!
Thanks, all three pistols are recent purchases, the P226 I picked up last week at the same LGS. It was proofed in 1990, the slide is factory NP3 finished, and to maintain the two-tone look, I grabbed a Mec Gar P226 X5 magazine with clear anodized aluminum base pad to go with it. (It had no magazines included in the sale)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Thanks, all three pistols are recent purchases, the P226 I picked up last week at the same LGS. It was proofed in 1990, the slide is factory NP3 finished, and to maintain the two-tone look, I grabbed a Mec Gar P226 X5 magazine with clear anodized aluminum base pad to go with it. (It had no magazines included in the sale)

The base pad is a nice touch. I can't bring myself to carry any of my P7's but I could easily see appendix carrying a P225. I love the P22_ series.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I can’t tell if the magazine is marked “1F” or “IF”. If it’s IF, that would be 1985 for the magazine manufacture date.

·
Registered
67 Posts
- How can I determine a year of manufacture on one of these? I don't see any proof date stamps anywhere, maybe I'm not looking in the right places?
This might help you with manufacture date:

·
Registered
640 Posts
I assume you mean the Anaconda, which is retailing at my LGS for $1650 currently. I'll be able to get another one, no problem, so P7 was a more obvious choice today.

Yep, misspoke in the second line.
The Kodiak was a special edition of the old Anaconda with an unfluted cylinder and a paw print on the barrel instead of the snake. So with that, a 29 and a 629 it isn't as if I NEED the new school Anaconda but I sort of want one.

Can't say you went wrong with the P7 though. Still kicking myself for letting one of those get away from me a double decade ago when they were still affordable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can’t tell if the magazine is marked “1F” or “IF”. If it’s IF, that would be 1985 for the magazine manufacture date.
It's IF for 85, and the other magazine is IA for 80, which seems to be consistent with the some of the serial number/dates listed on the forum here and elsewhere. Pretty sure this gal was manufactured in 1980.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This might help you with manufacture date:

Thanks, I looked at this thread, and couple other resources I found, and pretty sure that 1980 is my year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice find. Every time I try to avoid trying to find and buy one, some has to post a pic of theirs. You're not making it easy man. If I bought it, I'm not sure if I would keep it As-Is or find a reputable company to refinish it.

Reactions: Mainegrw

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Congratulations! Nice to look at. Looks early 80's by markings. I have an 85 and 87 Nds and this one looks older than mine.

This grade P7 seem to go low 2k on GB recently. 2 years ago, 1700-1800.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice find. Every time I try to avoid trying to find and buy one, some has to post a pic of theirs. You're not making it easy man. If I bought it, I'm not sure if I would keep it As-Is or find a reputable company to refinish it.
Well, you might be even more jealous if GoGators' pricing is right, and I told you what the cost to me was. Let's just say it was very reasonable, as in less than any of the numbers they mentioned...

I'm a purist, I wouldn't refinish this gun at all. Every mark and finish rub spot is part of her story. I like a gun with history, and also one that I don't have to feel bad about shooting every once in a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So, I did take thr P7 to the range today, along with my Walther P5 and Sig P226. I had a bit of an off day on the firing line and definitely not my best shooting today. It happens from time to time, but I am very satisfied with the P7 regardless.

Between the three, I shot 100 rounds of Browning 115gr FMJ ammo, and found the following: Out of the three, the P7 has the stoutest recoil, nothing unmanageable, but definitely a noticeable difference to the P5, which by comparison has very soft recoil, probably the softest of the three, with the P226 in the middle, leaning closer toward the P5. I assume the P7, like the P5, favors 147gr ammo, yes? Neither have an issue with POI vs POA, a common issue with the P5 I've heard, but rather from recoil standpoint. I feel like 147gr ammo would increase the lock time and thus lower the recoil. Might give 124gr a try as well, the P5 will produce an impressive muzzle flash with some 115gr loads, but doesn't with the 124gr at all so I keep a box or two around.

Also want to add, I love the ease of the squeeze cocker. I love that I can insert a loaded mag, and squeeze the grip, and she's ready to go. With the other two guns, it's the usual insert a new mag, slingshot the slide and chamber a round, then I always de-cock the hammers on them. I practice the way I would shoot drawing from a holster typically (without drawing from the holster though), so that means from a de-cocked state.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts