HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can try it with 147 grain, but there’s been some threads about issues with that bullet weight in P7s, and that you should stick to 124 grain (what it’s designed for, apparently) or 115. FWIW:

·
Registered
645 Posts
147 grain 9mm is a relatively recent addition to the scene.
From what I've read 125 grain was probably the standard from 1908 or so with 115 eventually getting more common and popular at least in the states. 147 was a niche development for suppressed sub guns and later expanded into handgun use mostly by LEOs as hollow points. I expect the P7 wasn't designed with 147 grain in mind although that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You can try it with 147 grain, but there’s been some threads about issues with that bullet weight in P7s, and that you should stick to 124 grain (what it’s designed for, apparently) or 115. FWIW:

That makes sense then if my supposition is correct that the heavier bullet increases lock time, and thus may not allow the slide enough inertia to cycle right. Guess I'll give the 124 a try, and also just keep shooting 115 also, because these days kinda at the mercy of what I have in my safe/what I can talk the shop into selling me. Not sure what the deal is for the rest of you, but ammo is not easy to get here currently. The only place with a decent stock has it because they're gouging the heck out of people, i.e. what was once a $10 50 round box of Federal 115 or 124 grain FMJs is $50, just because they can, and people, mostly new shooters, are willing to spend that kind of money just so they have something for defense or to get out on the range with. Kinda hoping things get better soon.

So, on the topic of ammonand the P7, how does it do with stuff like 9mm NATO, or 9 +P? I assume H&K most likely designed these guns to at least take a little bit of the high pressure ammo meant for the MP5. Not going looking for either specifically, just curious though.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, but the waiting list is pretty long, was actually surprised when they called me on Thursday to tell me it was in the shop... I also believe they sold it to the next guy down the list while I was standing there filling out paperwork on the P7. I'm also located in CT, not Maine.

What gun shop in ct had the p7

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
This grade and age of used P7 would sell for $600 all day long, in 2000-2002, when they were relatively plentiful. Do not use 147 grain ammo with the P7. HK did not design it for that weight and HK Germany has always advised against using it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
WRT ammo. I expect supply to begin to get better but prices to remain high.
The guys who bought Remington Ammunition division have announced they are back in operation.
That said demand remains high as do metals prices and mined elements due to the covid shutdowns.

AS for ME. I haven't bought any ammo in over a year. One of the local shops had 30 Carbine on sale as the panic started and I got a can of that while everybody else was making a run on the handguns and semi auto rifles. Since CA has banned mail order unless it goes through a dealer and they are informed of what you buy and the dealers are allowed to charge a receiving fee ordering has not really been an option. Before that went into effect I tended to buy a supply when I bought the gun. Unlike all the guys who thought they'd get into reloading at the last minute I've been reloading for 25+ years and part of the cost of a new gun in a new caliber is a set of reloading dies in that caliber and generally a supply of components. EVERY time there is an ammunition shortage the manufacturers reserve components to make more ammo themselves. So the guys who try to go there at the last minute are out of luck and/or paying 3-5 times the price for components and equipment and usually can't get a complete set of what it takes to make it work. I may not have an ample supply for the score of calibers I own but I try to maintain enough to load 500-1000 rounds of the most common calibers in my collection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love the P7 series. Also from CT. I owned a 2 "back in the day" and yeah sold them both for other things (stupid) but back in 2016 I found a used 1989 one at a lgs for $1900 in mint condition. Apparently was in a guy's collection. I honestly think it was never shot. But i have since put many rounds through it and it now looks used. i've ran 115gr FMJs and 124gr FMJs through it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What gun shop in ct had the p7
I have seen them come through NGX and Hoffman's throughout the years. If you remember the shop in E.Windsor they had a few 2000s made ones before the ban... Hell even Cabela's back in 2009 had a purple PSP and I just remember it was sooooooooooo overpriced and in poor condition.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have seen them come through NGX and Hoffman's throughout the years. If you remember the shop in E.Windsor they had a few 2000s made ones before the ban... Hell even Cabela's back in 2009 had a purple PSP and I just remember it was sooooooooooo overpriced and in poor condition.
Newington Gun Exchange for the win. Most knowledgeable and friendly staff, best selection of new and used product, and best pricing anywhere in the state. I honestly don't do much business elsewhere, unless whomever it is has something I absolutely can't live without.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Newington Gun Exchange for the win. Most knowledgeable and friendly staff, best selection of new and used product, and best pricing anywhere in the state. I honestly don't do much business elsewhere, unless whomever it is has something I absolutely can't live without.

I agree. NGX is one of the best shops in CT! Although a lot of my friends now think TGS Waterbury is the place to go. I like the staff at NGX and like you said pricing. Granted if you need an "Other Firearm" then I guess TGS is the place to go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I agree. NGX is one of the best shops in CT! Although a lot of my friends now think TGS Waterbury is the place to go. I like the staff at NGX and like you said pricing. Granted if you need an "Other Firearm" then I guess TGS is the place to go.
TGS in Waterbury rubs me the wrong way, their pricing is far higher than anybody else around, i.e. $50 boxes of Federal 9mm FMJ, etc. and I don't like the way they try and haggle on trades, I call it the Pawn Stars technique, nothing has value unless they're trying to sell it to you. They're also really only knowledgeable about AOWs and all the new tacticool stuff, they don't really have any knowledge on the older guns, especially revolvers. I've looked at older S&W revolvers there that clearly have serious functional issues, but they don't care.

I do like A&J Guns up in Torrington though, they're newer, and a little small, but always have something unique in stock. That's where I bought my Walther P5 from. Mitz Arms and Ammo in Seymour isn't bad either. Of course I like weird old guns, and they have plenty.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I assume you mean the Anaconda, which is retailing at my LGS for $1650 currently. I'll be able to get another one, no problem, so P7 was a more obvious choice today.

Before that you need a P6 to complete the (German competition) set, as you had a P5 and now a P7. Heheheh. A P225 is an appropriate substitute for a P6.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Before that you need a P6 to complete the (German competition) set, as you had a P5 and now a P7. Heheheh. A P225 is an appropriate substitute for a P6.
I was thinking this exact same thing the other day, I should at least have those three together, so I'm working on it. Right now, I have a West German P226 as a stand in though.

I was actually contemplating collecting all 8 P series pistols, and I thought I had gotten the hardest and most expensive one on the list now, but I was wrong: The P2 (Sig P210) is going to be a very expensive challenge to procure, the rest aren't so bad:

P1: Walther P1 - these are frequently available, shouldn't be an issue to track one down

P2: Sig P210 - big money for an original, makes the P7 look like a bargain

P3: Astra A600 - see these regularly and cheap, at least the A600 I do, not sure about P3 marked examples, not sure if they were asked as such

P4: Walther P4 - Harder to find than a P1, not impossible I'm told...

P5: Walther P5 - Own one already, more common around my parts than the P4

P6: Sig P6 (225) - Easy to find, frequently for sale at my LGS

P7: H&K P7 - owned, though I see them up for sale from time to time, more common than the P5 in my area actually; a group of 7 went up for sale recently at another local shop, they had them priced at $2000 each, a guy walked in 5 minutes after they went out, bought all of them.

P8: H&K USP - a little uncommon due to magazine capacity restrictions here in CT, but they are around, I've owned one before, and I'll own one again. The one I had was sold to me as new with the LEM trigger in it, but I'm pretty sure is was used, and somebody did the LEM conversion themselves. It had an absolutely terrible feeling trigger, so I let it go for something else and have been waiting for a 9mm USP with a standard SA/DA trigger to come my way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So, I did take thr P7 to the range today, along with my Walther P5 and Sig P226. I had a bit of an off day on the firing line and definitely not my best shooting today. It happens from time to time, but I am very satisfied with the P7 regardless.

Between the three, I shot 100 rounds of Browning 115gr FMJ ammo, and found the following: Out of the three, the P7 has the stoutest recoil, nothing unmanageable, but definitely a noticeable difference to the P5, which by comparison has very soft recoil, probably the softest of the three, with the P226 in the middle, leaning closer toward the P5. I assume the P7, like the P5, favors 147gr ammo, yes? Neither have an issue with POI vs POA, a common issue with the P5 I've heard, but rather from recoil standpoint. I feel like 147gr ammo would increase the lock time and thus lower the recoil. Might give 124gr a try as well, the P5 will produce an impressive muzzle flash with some 115gr loads, but doesn't with the 124gr at all so I keep a box or two around.

Also want to add, I love the ease of the squeeze cocker. I love that I can insert a loaded mag, and squeeze the grip, and she's ready to go. With the other two guns, it's the usual insert a new mag, slingshot the slide and chamber a round, then I always de-cock the hammers on them. I practice the way I would shoot drawing from a holster typically (without drawing from the holster though), so that means from a de-cocked state.

the p7 is ideally suited to 124gr nato ammo. surprised that the p5 had soft recoil, as that is not what people generally say online.
what about accuracy among the 3?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here in Switz, I have seen P210s for as low as $1300 and as high as $11k. The P7 is not seen that often here, while we are flooded with P210s (ex army). Anything below $2k for one here is a good price and I managed to get the M13 for less than that. P220/P75 is army issue surplus so is plentiful here. Sig P225 Swiss Montage is pretty common (less so thanP220) and German made is again less common. Sig P228/229/225/ are common ex-police or border guard surplus and often come with Cantonal emblems on them. HK P2000 and P30 are also Govt issues pistols and the former is pretty common and reasonably priced here. USP 40 is VERY cheap here and 45 are reasonable.

You need a P2000 and a P30 as well for your collection.
Hahaha.

I think the P7 is common in CT as its close to NJ where the State Troopers used them for a while???

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
As far as accuracy between the 3, it's too early to say. I've only owned the P7 for a week, shot it once, the P226 for a couple weeks, but it's not the first one I've had (there have been 13 others), the P5 I picked up about a month ago, and have shot a few times, so it's the one I'm the most used to of the three. My statement of the P5 having a soft recoil is really in comparison to the P7, at least with 115gr ammo. Using the same ammo in all three, the P7 had the most stout recoil, and the other two were about equal, in my opinion. That's probably an indicator that I need a new recoil spring for the 226...

That said, the P5 is a surprisingly nice gun to shoot, definitely one of Walther's best designs. I also owned a P88 Compact for a short time, and frankly, I don't think it was the pinnacle of Walther's achievements, I much prefer the P5 to it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here in Switz, I have seen P210s for as low as $1300 and as high as $11k.
You need a P2000 and a P30 as well.
Hahaha.

I think the P7 is common in CT as its close to NJ where the State Troopers used them for a while???
Yeah, they're all over the board here too, haven't looked in a while on Gunbroker, seem to run the gamut, might be able to find one cheap than I thought.

I did a cursory search just now for P210s, and a listing popped up for an "Ultra Rare" "Holy Grail" factory nickel H&K P7M8 with an ending auction price of $7025. Wow!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, they're all over the board here too, haven't looked in a while on Gunbroker, seem to run the gamut, might be able to find one cheap than I thought.

I did a cursory search just now for P210s, and a listing popped up for an "Ultra Rare" "Holy Grail" factory nickel H&K P7M8 with an ending auction price of $7025. Wow!

Whoa, that is STEEEEP. Mine is not original factory chrome, but was faaaar cheaper here, but no orig box and only 1 mag, though I got a 2nd one for just $85.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 51 Posts