HKPRO Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
While I am far from an expert, just a thought on your P7's stout recoil. My first P7 also had pretty sharp recoil. The second one I bought seemed a lot smoother. Still a snappier recoil than my other 9mm's, but not unpleasant.

I found that the piston on the first one had been overcleaned, probably using wire brushes, decreasing its diameter and this affected the gas-delay blowback system. I changed the piston and the recoil was much better.

Without shooting a 2nd P7, I wouldn't have known that the first one wasn't operating as designed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, best recommendation on piston cleaning it to wrap in cloth soaked with carbon cleaner for 30 mins or so and wipe clean or use nylon brush for gentle particle removal. For the chamber only use the scraper sparingly, like say after 500+ rounds. The tolerance is tight and should not be messed with.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Update: The P7 is a whole different gun with a new recoil spring in it. I just finished up at the range this morning, and I couldn't be happier. That said, for one reason or another, I still shoot better with the Walther P5, but both are great shooters and definite keepers. I shot both with a a mixture of Aguila 124gr FMJs (9mm Luger loadings, not 9mm NATO or +P) and 115gr Barnaul steel case garbage FMJs. I was a little surprised at how much more pleasant the P7 shot with the 115s than the 124s, I suspect due to a higher chamber pressure, but either ran just fine and grouped nicely. The P5 favored the 124s offering a milder recoil.

I also did a little horse trading this weekend, and added another pistol to the group: a brand new USP 9 V1, since I cannot get a P8 or P8A1. The search is now ramping up for a Sig P6, which would round out the collection nicely. I shot the USP with a mixture of both the aforementioned ammo, and she ran flawlessly. I love this USP a lot, she's the second one I've owned, the first was supposedly a brand new factory configured LEM, but judging by how awful that trigger felt, I'm pretty sure it was a used V1 a previous owner converted to a LEM. Frankly, I'm just not in love with the LEM concept, nor the DAK system that Sig uses either. I like my SA/DA pistols in their traditional configuration.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Update: The P7 is a whole different gun with a new recoil spring in it. I just finished up at the range this morning, and I couldn't be happier. That said, for one reason or another, I still shoot better with the Walther P5, but both are great shooters and definite keepers. I shot both with a a mixture of Aguila 124gr FMJs (9mm Luger loadings, not 9mm NATO or +P) and 115gr Barnaul steel case garbage FMJs. I was a little surprised at how much more pleasant the P7 shot with the 115s than the 124s, I suspect due to a higher chamber pressure, but either ran just fine and grouped nicely. The P5 favored the 124s offering a milder recoil.

I also did a little horse trading this weekend, and added another pistol to the group: a brand new USP 9 V1, since I cannot get a P8 or P8A1. The search is now ramping up for a Sig P6, which would round out the collection nicely. I shot the USP with a mixture of both the aforementioned ammo, and she ran flawlessly. I love this USP a lot, she's the second one I've owned, the first was supposedly a brand new factory configured LEM, but judging by how awful that trigger felt, I'm pretty sure it was a used V1 a previous owner converted to a LEM. Frankly, I'm just not in love with the LEM concept, nor the DAK system that Sig uses either. I like my SA/DA pistols in their traditional configuration.

Congrats. Are you sure the USP is v1 and not V3 (in P2000/P30, V3 is the DA/SA setup....V1 is light LEM)? That Walther must be very good to be rivalling the P7, as to me the M13 is a dream. If you cant get a P6, then get a P225, which has at least 1 major improvement in the form of the feed ramp. Then you will be all P'ed out. LoL Full set.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Do You still have the P226?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Do You still have the P226?
I might have traded it in favor of not adding another $900 to my credit card. My favorite LGS treats me very well in that respect, they offer me a fair value that gives them room to sell for a profit, but also not leaving me feeling screwed over. Can't say that about most of the other local places... In addition to that, the P226 had dead Trijicon night sights on it, so I opted to have a local shop (different joint than my favorite gun shop) install a set of Sig X-Ray sights on it instead, and they botched it, lightly marring the slide a little bit. Initially it didn't bother me, but the more I stared at it, the more it did, so letting that Sig go became increasingly easy. Plus, that's the 14th (15th?) P226 I've owned, and like the 5th or 6th West German example. There will be another, maybe as soon as next week, idk.

By comparison, full size USP 9s are very uncommon around my area, I don't usually see them new or used, I think I've seen maybe 3 or 4 in the last 10 years of collecting in the gun shop cases. The USP 9C, USP 45, USP 40, HK 45, P2000s, P30s, and VP9/40s are way more common. In fact, I briefly considered picking up a NEW VP9L yesterday until they told me they had the USP 9 in stock.

Really really want a P6 or P225 now instead anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Also, yes, pretty sure it's the V1 model, SA/DA with decocker lever and safe position. The V3 is a SA/DA with decocker only no safe postion. I would definitely have been happier with that configuration, but either works just fine for me. I think the LEM model is a V7.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It seems the USP has a different trigger variant code to P30/2000.
Correct... All LEM variants of USP/HK45 are V7 and V1 is da/as with decocker and safety on the left (V2 has the lever on the right). The V3 in those pistols is da/sa decock only. In the P2000/P30, V1 and V2 are light and heavy LEM respectively and V3 is DA/SA. There are obviously other variants than the above but these are the most common.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts