HKPRO Forums banner

So... You Wanna Sell on HKPRO?

20K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  P7mobetta 
#1 ·
This happens regularly and we seem to have a wave of folks who really do not want to take the time to read the rules or learn how things work around here. So it's time for straightgrain's semi-regular screed on selling expectations on HKPRO.

We are one of the most tightly moderated gun forums on the Internet. This is because it is first and foremost an information exchange. The Marketplace function is secondary. By keeping it this way, we insure that we keep the drive-by's and scammers to a minimum.

We have a post count minimum for selling. it's 51 posts. We also have a requirement that you not "sandbag" your post count with meaningless drivel just so you can get to the selling threshold. By keeping it this way, we insure that we keep the drive-by's and scammers to a minimum.

We also have a time component. You cannot run your posts up all at once and get "promoted." By keeping it this way, we insure that we keep the drive-by's and scammers to a minimum.

We also have a rather large problem with folks who do the two things above and then shoot off a PM to a mod or admin asking why they cannot post a WTS ad. Invariably, the user is investigated, their posts eliminated or counts reduced and then told that they are not following the rules. By keeping it this way, we insure that we keep the drive-by's and scammers to a minimum.

If you are still upset, do not send us a screed about free speech and how we are overbearing Nazis. It's a private board and you agreed to the rules when you signed up. This is the way the board is run and it's not changing anytime soon.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nope. Bending the rules for one means bending them for all... and then the rules do not address the need. And "posting a bunch of crap" to meet the minimum post requirement is against the rules, as well.

Current rules as of 2023 Marketplace Access including Premium & Plus Members

As the market for high-end firearms, parts and accessories continues to thrive, so too do the activities of scammers. Scammers' tactics have grown in scope and sophistication. Paid membership is no longer an effective barrier to scammers. Scammers are now readily signing up for paid access to appear legitimate. We've heard from many of you about these issues.

We are now taking additional measures to address scamming by strengthening restrictions on access to the Marketplace section of this forum. These changes are propagating through the site now and should be effective shortly.

These changes include:
  • 15 posts + 10 days to even see the Classifieds section
  • Plus/Premium membership does NOT grant immediate Marketplace access. The same minimums apply to paid memberships.
  • 51 posts + 10 days to start a WTS
  • 15 posts + 10 days to start a WTB
  • 15 posts + 10 days to respond to a WTS
  • 51 posts + 10 days to respond to a WTB
Yes some of these changes are drastic compared to the past. Ultimate goal is to protect members. Please keep in mind that HKPRO's philosophy has always been that this is primarily an educational hobby-oriented site and that the marketplace is a fringe benefit, not a core function.

#5 ·
Well worth every penny, straightgrain. I have gotten more than $30 worth of help and advice out of this forum in one month. I would gladly pay more (and am very happy to support such a well opperated website). Hope deisel is doing okay, BTW. And who knows, someday I may sell something, but I doubt it. I am a buyer only. After all, who would sell one of their own children??? (Don't answer that)

#6 ·
My two cents worth is.... I live in the Philippines.... Where posting to sell items might not even be allowed or possible. I gained a lot of learnings here in over 60+ posts to date. I supported and paid the subscription today. It's well worth beyond what I paid for as long as you ask the right questions using common sense and not suggest dangerous ones leading to a accident waiting to happen:)

Thanks to help for all my questions.

#11 ·
"This is the way the board is run and it's not changing anytime soon."

Thanks, Straightgrain. The community that thrives here as a result of the rules is priceless, and I hope it doesn't change anytime soon or anytime later...

#13 ·
Many thanks SG and other mods. This has been a very valuable, though costly forum for me. Joined early this year when researching possible new gun purchase. Have added ten HK pistols since then (USP 45T,45, 45c, 9, two 9c, P30ls 9, Hk 45T, Hk45c, P7psp). A former Bullseye competitor I did not believe a stock pistol could be as accurate as a custom 1911. Now I am an HK believer. The quality of this forum and reliability of the Markrtplace is excellent. Keep up the good work!!

#18 ·
I guess I'm guilty of piling up post,after only upgrading my membership 8 hours ago.Im reading post though,but sightings of hk guns on movies is something Ive never done.I did see one the taliban in a news video,carrying an HK mp5,I guess.Sp,mp look the same.And the others in the video were with 2.0 upgrades as well.Their sharing the trophies.That said I will slow my heels down or just keep going till it feels comfortable and not ask for anything till I get a 100 or so without being to obnoxious,whatever that is.I do not know much about guns or history of them though,time to listen n learn.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.