HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would any damage or harm be caused by putting my entire frame of the gun in a m-pro7 bath, and letting it soak for 20 minutes, then cleaning and wipe down?
Is this not recommended? I like to clean my firearms like factory new when home from the range.

this is for pistols, p30 series, usp's, hk45. and the sp5k bolt carrier, and frame

I do not want to cause any future damage, rust, deterioration of parts, etc, by soaking completely in m-pro7 cleaner.

Or should I just go back to usual, and manually wipe down with my cleaner, and let sit, instead of completely dunking the frame for 20 minutes?

Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

I know i can soak the barrel, and recoil spring, but an nervous about the frame, as all of the springs, and small moving parts, not sure if any damage would be caused by completely covering the frame wityh cleaner and letting it sit.

looking forward to "real" answers by those who know best.

IE: the slide as well??? may I also soak the slide after use? DO I need to worry about the m-pro7(what i use now) getting into the firing pin hole? or is it ok, as long as i blow it out with compressed air.

DO I rub a slight film of oil over the firing pin area, and blow with compressed air, or is a small bit of oil of for the firing pin hole to get into.??

thank you

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
No your gun would not be damaged if you soaked it in m-pro7. You however would run into the issue of needing to make sure that you got everything out of the internals. It isn't wise to leave cleaner in hard to reach places as it can accumulate filth or some of the non alcoholic ones don't evaporate. Can go at it with canned air, or a degreaser afterwards.

Yes you need to worry about getting anything into the firing pin hole, anything getting in there can over time cause an issue. Do NOT put oil into your firing pin hole or channel. Yes you can dunk it, just make sure you blast the hell out of it with air, get it all out and dry, do not use a product that is a cleaner/lube. Cleaner only.

your real issue, that is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED is your want and need to return it to a factory state after every range trip. If you go once a year. knock yourself out. Any more than that and you are gonna do more damage to the gun due to over cleaning than firing the thing and doing normal field strip cleanings. cleaning regimes should be planned off of ammo, not how many times you shoot. If you shoot a little dirty ammo, field strip clean, if you shoot a little clean ammo, field strip wipe down. Get what im getting at here.

I understand your want and need to keep your gun pristine, and there isn't anything wrong with that. But being over zealous with the cleaning will over time, cause you issues. I clean my guns after every range trip, mostly either a wipe down, or a field strip then good scrub. A good gun soaking shouldnt be needed till about 10k rounds of clean ammo, or 5k of dirty ammo. So if you wanna stay ahead of that game, cut those numbers in half or two thirds. not after every range trip. Some of my guns, save for the inside the slide, you can't tell have been shot.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No your gun would not be damaged if you soaked it in m-pro7. You however would run into the issue of needing to make sure that you got everything out of the internals. It isn't wise to leave cleaner in hard to reach places as it can accumulate filth or some of the non alcoholic ones don't evaporate. Can go at it with canned air, or a degreaser afterwards.

Yes you need to worry about getting anything into the firing pin hole, anything getting in there can over time cause an issue. Do NOT put oil into your firing pin hole or channel. Yes you can dunk it, just make sure you blast the hell out of it with air, get it all out and dry, do not use a product that is a cleaner/lube. Cleaner only.

your real issue, that is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED is your want and need to return it to a factory state after every range trip. If you go once a year. knock yourself out. Any more than that and you are gonna do more damage to the gun due to over cleaning than firing the thing and doing normal field strip cleanings. cleaning regimes should be planned off of ammo, not how many times you shoot. If you shoot a little dirty ammo, field strip clean, if you shoot a little clean ammo, field strip wipe down. Get what im getting at here.

I understand your want and need to keep your gun pristine, and there isn't anything wrong with that. But being over zealous with the cleaning will over time, cause you issues. I clean my guns after every range trip, mostly either a wipe down, or a field strip then good scrub. A good gun soaking shouldnt be needed till about 10k rounds of clean ammo, or 5k of dirty ammo. So if you wanna stay ahead of that game, cut those numbers in half or two thirds. not after every range trip. Some of my guns, save for the inside the slide, you can't tell have been shot.

ok, I will continue to clean as i have been, wiping cleaner, or spraying the mpro7 on both sides of the frame, and the inside of the slide, letting it sit for 20 minutesm, then do my usual, rag/q-tip wipe detail wipedown.

I will wait a while til i get a lot of ammo through her to do a dunk and clean. i can't see me needing this soaking, as i do a pretty good detail cleaning from a field strip anyway. Thank you for your time in answering my question, I appreciate it.

i always use blow air to blow out the firing pin channel each time I'm done cleaning the slide. don't wipe a thin layer of oil on the "face of the area" surrounding the firing pin area?? keep dry at all times?? I usually scrub with a toothbrush right over top of the firing pin hole-area-, then wipe and blow air to clean out........is this wrong, should i not clean it at all, it gets very black from shooting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts