HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon,

In my gun safe I use to store my magazines (HK P30L and HK VP9, same size fit vice-versa) each loaded with 10 rounds (maximum capacity 15 rounds).

Is there any risk of a loose weapon spring ? I ask this because some people told me to load them with maximum 5 rounds each, some others told me to fully load them with 15 rounds each, some people even told me to not load them, so I loaded them with 10 to be more or less on the safe side.

I don't want to risk a loose spring and problems supplying ammo at the range. I am very busy so I am only able to go to the range for exercising once a month.

Regards,

Fladi

·
Registered
18 Posts
Loading your mags to capacity should not hurt them. The springs wear out through repeated compression and expansion (loading and unloading). Very little spring tension is lost by loading a magazine (even to total capacity) and leaving it stored.

·
Registered
71 Posts
+1, it's the cycling that is the big deal.

In principle, if you don't plan on using them/range only: leave them unloaded. If they're for defensive use, load all 15 rounds and replace the mag springs every few thousand rounds. Nobody ever complained about too much ammo in a fight. Better yet, get a hold of enough magazines and mark them for dedicated use: some for defense that just sit fully loaded, some for range use that get cycled and replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your fast and decent replies ! I have now put 15 rounds in each magazine as you said. Best regards, Fladi.:350:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts